FAST-AG017Acad. year: 2020/2021
History of town construction starting from the early settlements, over the Antiquity, the Middle Ages, the Modern Age, influence of the Industrial Revolution on settlement units, up to a contemporary post-industrial town. Influence of the human community on the conversion of a landscape. Brief history of intentional landscape and environment forming, history of gardening and urban greenery creation. Historical development of urbanistic composition up to the present view of urban space creation.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will manage the goal of the subject, i.e. basic grasp of the history of town construction, an ancient town, the Midddle Ages and the Modern Age, the Industrial Revolution impacts, a contemporary post-industrial town, influence of a man on the countryside creation, gardens and parks.
Basic knowledge of culture and history at the secondary school level. Grasp of the functional settlement unit system and the conditions of urbanistic development acquired in the previous urbanistic discipline.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Early settlements, the oldest urban structure, an ancient town
2. Medieval settlement
3. Modern settlement
4. The Industrial Revolution and its impact on the town structure
5. Town planning theories and their reflection in 20th–century settlement units
6. Condition and perspectives of a contemporary post-industrial town
7. Historical transformations of a rural settlement
8. History of anthropogenic conversion of landscape
9. History of parks and gardening – the Baroque, a landscape park
11. 19th and 20th-century urban park
12. Development of the urbanistic composition, the principles of composition
13. Development of an urbanistic space – typology, morphology, perception
Basic grasp of the history of town construction, an ancient town, the Midddle Ages and the Modern Age, the Industrial Revolution impacts, a contemporary post-industrial town, influence of a man on the countryside creation, gardens and parks.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.