Elements of Architectural Design
FAST-AG002Acad. year: 2020/2021
Theoretical introduction to architecture as a creative process. The aim is the familiarization with the space, matter and shape (composition) aspects of an architectonic work and the methodology of an architect’s work while respecting the inter-connected aspects of building within the society as a whole. The acquired knowledge with an inventive application of the principles of creation of space, structure and composition will be applied in a seminar.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will manage the goal of the subject, i.e. introduction to the architectonic design, architecture as an art and a science, elements of the architectonic typology, participants in the process of architectural design.
The subject is involved in 1st semester of study. It does not connect with any previous disciplines. The prerequisite is the general knowledge of culture and history at the secondary school level.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Nature of architecture, its function and message
2. Architectural design as a synthesis of disciplines
3. Theory of a natural place – phenomenology, structure, spirit
4. Theory of an artificial place - phenomenology, structure, spirit
5. Elements of the architectonic typology
6. Space, identification with space, topos-typos
7. Space composition, raumplan, plan-libre, structuralism
8. Architectonic structure
9. Elementary structive components
10. Spatial load-bearing components
11. Elementary composition categories
12. Subjects of architectonic and urbanistic design, a client, an architect, an executor
13. Methodology of designing
Introduction to the architectonic design, architecture as an art and a science, elements of the architectonic typology, participants in the process of architectural design.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.