Structural Mechanics 1
FAST-AD001Acad. year: 2020/2021
Tasks of structural mechanics,space and plane systems of forces,cross-section characteristics of the planar figures. Calculation model of structure,load actions,supports.Calculation of support reactions,components of internal forces, differential equilibrium conditions, nternal forces diagrams.Solution of basic types of statically determinate planar beams – simply supported beam, cantilever, the slant, broken and curved beam. Planar composed systems and planar trusses. Space statically determinate member, broken member in the space.The basic principles of the linear theory of elasticity. Deflection, strain, stress. Material laws, stress-strain diagram.Simple tension and compression, simple shearing load, simple bending load. The deflection of the bent beams. Calculation of the tangent stresses, the shear stress in the bent beam, the centre of the shear, torsion.Composed load cases of the bar.The stability and the bucking strength of the compressed bars, a bar loaded by a bending and buckling load.
Institute of Structural Mechanics (STM)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The students will be able to solve reactions and internal forces of the plane statically determinate structures, to design centroid and second order moments of gross-section, solve simple and compound stresses to and compute strain in a section, to find materials and dimensions, to calculate deformation within bend.
The basic secondary school knowledge from mathematics and physics are request.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Tasks of structural mechanics, basic conceptions, presumptions, principles and axioms. Plane and space systems of forces. Equilibrium and equivalence.
2. Basic types of statically determinate beams. Calculation model of planar beam, load actions, supports. Static and kinematic determination, exceptional cases of supporting.
3. Calculation of support reactions. Components of internal forces, differential equilibrium conditions, internal forces diagrams.
4. Solution of basic types of planar beams – simply supported beam and cantilever.
Straight beams with overhangs, the slant and broken beam. Planar composed systems. Curved beam – arch.
5. Cross-section characteristics of the planar figures. Steiner’s theorem, extreme values of second order moments. Radius and ellipse of second order moments of cross-section.
6. Planar trusses. Calculation model, static determination, exceptional cases. Method of joints and method of sections.
7. Space member. Supports and reaction, internal forces. Broken member in the space.
8. Basic principles of the theory of elasticity. Deflection, strain, stress. Linear behaviour, material laws, working diagram. The relation between internal forces and the stresses. Simple tension – stress, strain, deflection.
9. More general cases of the tension (compression). Statically indeterminate cases. The influence of the initial stress and the temperature field. Simple shear, the connections strained by shearing.
10. Simple bending. Normal stress produced by bending. Design and check of bent girders.
11. The deflection of the bent bars. The differential equation of the deformation line. The methods of solution of the deformation line.
Shearing stress in a bent beam. The centre of the shear. Shearing stress in the thin-walled girders. The influence of the shear on the deflection of the beam.
12. Free warping of a massive and thin-walled opened and closed cross-section beams. Complex cases of the load of the beam. Spatial and biaxial bending. Tension (compression) and uniaxial bending.
13. Eccentric tension and compression, the position of the neutral axis, the core of the section. Design of the girders in a case of the complex load. Buckling strengths and the stability of the compressed bars. The check of the buckling bars. The principal stresses.
The students will be acquainting with reactions and internal forces of the plane static determinate structures, centroid and second order moments of cross-section. They also will be acquainting with basic principles of the theory of elasticity, as stress, strain, deformations and with dimensioning of structures.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.