Selected Chapters from Fire Protection of Buildings
FAST-TH52Acad. year: 2020/2021
Knowledge deepening of fire protection of buildings, mainly the issue of roofed atriums in civil buildings. Complex solution of non-industrial and industrial buildings, public garages, solutions of specific requirements for health and social service buildings, assembly areas, agricultural buildings, storehouses and telecommunication buildings. Basic knowledge improvement about function and design of fire protection facilities.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will be able to elaborate a fire-safety documentation for complicated productive and nonproductive objects including specific objects. Student also will be able to judge fire and economical hazards for some object.
Fire protection of buildings - basic knowledge, fire protection of buildings. Theory of building constructions – load-bearing structure systems, vertical and horizontal load-bearing structures, building envelopes, staircases, roofing of buildings, non-loadbearing structure, void infilling elements, floors and surface finishings. Building materials - types and their use in building constructions, specific material properties. Knowledge of urban, architectonic-dispositional, material and constructional design of buildings, especially civil and housing buildings.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
RUSINOVÁ, M., JURÁKOVÁ, T., BADALOVÁ, M: Pozemní stavitelství-požární bezpečnost staveb. VUT Brno, 2002. ISBN 978-80-7204-511-2. (CS)
Požární kodex norem ČSN 73 08xx. 0.
KUPILÍK, V.: Stavební konstrukce z požárního hlediska. Grada Publishing, 2006. ISBN 80-86634-42-6. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Revision: Laws of fire protection, technical standards and codex FP, basic terminology
2. Design of escape ways in balcony houses, fire protection design of roofed atriums.
3. Health and social service buildings, assembly areas, changes of buildings.
4.-5.Design procedure and FP analysis of industrial buildings. Differences in assessment of industrial and non-industrial buildings. Classification of construction systems and construction parts. Fire and economic hazard. Fire hazard determination, simplified and detailed procedure.
6. Fire sections and areas without a fire hazard. Fire protection level. Fire partitions. Fire strips. Requirements for fireproof constructions and their certificates.
7. Escape ways – types and number of ways, design and realization.
8. Safe distances. Technical equipments. Fire-fighting equipments. Fire water supply.
9. Garage assessment - specific requirements for public garages, agricultural buildings, telecommunication buildings. Storehouses.
10. Knowledge deepening about design and function of fire-fighting equipments (exhaust of heat and smoke, automatic extinguishing equipment, electric fire signalisation).
The aim of this course is to be student ability to design a complete fire protection solution of a building - design procedure and analysis of non-industrial and industrial buildings, including: method determination of fire and economic hazard, requirements for building structure properties, design of escape ways, determination of fire-unsafe areas, fire-fighting equipment.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.