Theory and Practice of Architectural Design
FAST-TG54Acad. year: 2020/2021
The generally valid principles view of architectural theory insist on perception of architecture independently of the historical period. Analytical and critical reflection of the theoretic knowledge together with actual personal architectural design experience will help students to realize, search and create an individual approach to one´s own architectural design.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will create their own individual approach to the conception of an architectural project, using an analytical and critical reflection oftheir generally valid knowledge of architectural theory, together with their experience from architectural design.
The subject is consequent to the bachelor’s study programme. A prerequisite is general cultural and historical knowledge and experience with architectural design at the level of a graduate of the bachelor’s study programme specialised in architecture.The subject makes use of the knowledge acquired in the previous disciplines.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
NORBERG-SCHULZ, C.: Genius Loci. Odeon Praha, 1994. ISBN 978-80-7363-303-5. (CS)
KRIER, L.: Architektura-volba nebo osud. Academia Praha, 2001. ISBN 80-200-0012-7. (CS)
HOLL, Steven: Paralaxa. Era vydavatelství, 2003. ISBN 80-86517-68-3. (CS)
VON MEISS, Pierre: De la Forme au Lieu. Pesses polytechniques romandes Lausanne, 2012. ISBN 2880749468. (FR)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Perception of architecture
2. Order and chaos in architecture: geometry and geometrical psychology
3. Measure and balance: dimensions and proportions
4. Town layout and the structure
5. Space: elements defining space
6. Light and shadow: quantity and quality of light
7. Place: from space to place, limits between an interior and an exterior
8. Form and matter: truth and deception
9. Project: historical development; attributes of a well-managed project
10. Kenneth Frampton – Critical regionalism: architecture of Ticino: Botta; Snozzi; Galfetti; Vacchini; Carloni.
11. Architecture and art: architecture and creative art; architecture and music; architecture and expert critique.
12. Architectural practices. Theoretical texts and essays on a given subject (authors: H. Banks; D. Steiner; S. Holl).
13. Conclusion: discussion on the possibilities for application of the gained knowledge in real life situation
Analytical and critical reflection ofgenerally valid knowledge of architectural theory, together with experience with architectural designing as a resource for the creation of one’s own approach to an architectural project.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.