FAST-AZ02Acad. year: 2020/2021
Concept of sociology, society, group, culture, environment, social stratification, sociological research, methodology, sociological streams, sociological schools, sociological paradigms, social world, microsociology, macrosociology, sociological thinking, social perception, personal image, verbal and nonverbal communication, rituals, classification of groups, role and position in groups, behaviour norms, social and biological formative influences to the personality, architecture and sociology, social environment, social space, housing, life-style, traditional and modern architectural design, social psychology, environmental civil engineering.
Institute of Social Sciences (SPV)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of general sociological principles and their application in technology and architecture, orientation in basic sociological schools and paradigms. Sociological knowledge about relation between housing and environment, architectural regeneration of environment, development programs and design process.
Basic knowledge of general sociology, social psychology, economy, philosophy or ethics (in the secondary school level from subjects "Foundation of Social Sciences" or "Civics"), knowledge of elemental terminology from sociology, information about practical possibilities of sociology and some methods of sociological research (observing, questionnaire etc.), knowledge of basic statistic methodology in working up of data, basic knowledge of ecology and environmental studies from secondary school.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
GIDDENS, Anthony: Sociologie. Praha: Argo, 1999. ISBN 80-7203-124-4.
SCHMEIDLER, Karel: Sociologie v architektonické a urbanistické tvorbě. Brno: Z. Novotný, 2001. ISBN 80-238-6582-X.
KELLER, Jan: Úvod do sociologie. Praha: Slon, 2009. ISBN 978-80-7367-644-5.
KOHOUTEK, Rudolf: Základy sociální psychologie. Brno: Cerm, 1998. ISBN 80-7204-064-2.
PETRUSEK, Miroslav, MILTOVÁ, Alena, VODÁKOVÁ, Alena: Sociologické školy, směry, paradigmata. Praha: Slon, 2000. ISBN 80-85850-81-8.
GIDDENS, Anthony: Sociology. Oxford: Blackwell, 2001. ISBN 9780745623108.
BEDRNOVÁ, Eva, NOVÝ, Ivan: Psychologie a sociologie řízení. Praha: Management Press, 2007. ISBN 978-80-7261-169-0.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to sociology. Subject and methodology of general and applicated sociology.
2. Society, social groups, sociometry.
3. Sociological terminology, schools, streams and paradigmas - summary, importance and heritage.
4. Basic theories of sociological thought. The theory of consensus and the theory of conflict and interpretative sociology.
5. History of sociology, overview of the most important theories and personalities. Inspiration for the future. The problem of orientation in the world; social control and the problem of living in one´s environment.
6. Traditional and modern society in sociological concepts. Conservativism, rationalism and liberalism.
7. Complementary approach to the interpretation of social phenomena and subject behaviour in society. Social structure of society, demography, social statics and dynamics.
8. Sociology in architectural and urban design. Determinism of the environment of social phenomena.
9. Uniformity and diversity. Social stratification and space. Sociology of family, importance of family. Family and housing.
10. Sociological knowledge about settlements. Public and private spaces. Sociological evaluation of living level.
11. Towns and village as a social units - agreements and differences. Influence on architecture. Architectural determinism.
12. Sociological research in architecture. Environmental civil engineering. Future housing. Sociology of housing and the environment. Sociological and architectural regeneration of the environment.
13. Partitipation of users in the architectural design process - town and country development programs.
Orientation in problems of sociology of society and social groups;
analysis of social relations, processes in society and global social development;
knowledge of social structure in whole society and also in level of organization, firm, personality;
research of relation between sociology and housing, architecture and ecology;
application of knowledge from sociological theory to future job of absolvents in building firms, architectorial workplaces and technical practise.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer