FAST-HE56Acad. year: 2020/2021
Geoinformatic technology. Quality of information and influence on analysis. Presentation of results. Globalization.
Institute of Geodesy (GED)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will manage basic theoretical knowledge of geoinformatics and digital cartography. They will be introduced with positional bases of geographic information systems and methods of collection, saving and processing of different types of geographical data for these systems.
Fundamentals of mapping, cartography, informatics, photogrammetry and remote sensing.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Tuček J.: Geografické informační systémy. Teorie a praxe.. Praha, Computer Press, 1998. (CS)
Streit U.: Introduction to Geoinformatics. University of Muenster, 2000. (EN)
Elithorp James A. Jr, Findorff Dennis D.: Geodesy for Geomatics and GIS Professionals. Xan Edu, Ann Arbor, 2003. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Definition of GIS, development,relations.
2. Database - ground of GIS.
3. Information overview and database systems.
4. Software for GIS. Overview current GIS systems.
5. Modern methods of data acquisition for informations systems.
6. Types of geographic data and storage models. Modern methods of works with data.
7. Standards and norms for GIS, their levels. Quality data evaluation.
9. Map algebra.
10. Electronic maps in environment of INTERNET/INTRANET.Presentation of cartographic works in 3D and 4D.
Understanding of relation among geoinformatic sciences.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.