Strategic Brand Management
FP-SsbmKAcad. year: 2020/2021
Course is focused on strategic brand development in the context of strategic management of company. Course is based on theoretical concepts brand usable for formulation and implementation ov value creating strategy of company. Course defines areas important for understanding of brand nature and importance of brand for company success. Course defines concept of brand on the base of brand elements, brand identity and brand positioning. Course deals with brand development in contemporary global environment.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will learn application of tools of strategic brand development in whole process of strategic management of company development. Students will be able to use techniques brand development for development, evaluation and implementation of business and corporate strategy. Students will know tools usable for brand development and formulation of plan of brand development. Students will be introduced with approach to brand development on local and global market. Students will be familiar with techniques of brand proposal presentation.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
FLOOR, K. Branding a store: how to build successful retail brands in a changing marketplace. Philadelphia: Kogan Page, 2006. 360 p. ISBN 07-494-4832-6.
KAPFERER, J. N. The New Strategic Brand Management: Advanced Insights and Strategic Thinking (New Strategic Brand Management: Creating & Sustaining Brand Equity). 5th ed. Kogan Page, 2012. 512 p. ISBN 0749465158.
AVINASH, K., KULSHRESTHA, C. Branding and Sustainable Competitive Advantage: Building Virtual Presence. IGI Global, 2011. 294 p. ISBN 978-1613501719.
KELLER, K. L. Strategic brand management: building, measuring, and managing brand equity. 4th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2013, 562 p. ISBN 978-013-2664-257.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation is based on points from the project and its defense. Score can be as following:
• Evaluation of continuous work at seminars – up to 60 points, required minimum is 20 points.
• Project defense – up to 40 points – based on team discussion. Students must prove both practical knowledge of solved problem and knowledge of theoretical background.
Project elaboration and project defense
Project is solved in teams (3 – 8 members). Students will work on project focused on strategic brand development - for detailed specification see e-learning. Students must establish team, define the project goal and submit the specification of assignment until 6th week of semester. One consultation, at least, is compulsory before submission. Final defense is planned for two last weeks of semester and first two weeks of exam period. Time reserved for on defense is 60 – 120 minutes. Whole team must participate. Missing members must come individually. Whole project must be submitted one week before the defense - electronic version, pdf file (use surname of one management member as file name). The defense test both practical knowledge of solved problem and knowledge of theoretical background. Whole team is evaluated. Peer evaluation of team members can be part of evaluation.
Late project submission: -10b
Late assignment submission: -10b
Final mark follows from number of points and respect ECTS. Retakes are defined by Study and Examination Code.
ISP: project preparation and project defence (individually or in team)
Language of instruction
1. Brand development as strategic concept. Brand as complex business concept. Types of brands. Brand elements. Brand as competitive factor. Brand and customer value. Levels of brand utilization.
2. Strategic brand management in the context of hierarchy of firm strategy. Brand architecture. Multi-brand portfolios. Structure of brand development strategy.
3. Tactical and operational level of brand development. Brand development planning and evaluation. Implementation tools. Presentation of brand proposal.
4. Internal and external factors of brand development. Analytical tools for strategic brand development.
5. Concepts of brand identity, brand personality and brand perception. Development of brand for company, store, product and service.
6. Managing global brands. Growth of local brands. Brand extension. Change of brand.
Goal of course is definition of branding as strategic tool for company development.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Účast na cvičeních a přednáškách a soustředění kombinované formy studia je povinná a kontrolovaná. Každá neúčast na předepsané formě výuky je hodnoceny srážkou pěti bodů z finálního hodnocení.
U prezenční formy studia je vyžadována minimálně jedna konzultace zadání projektu a jedna konzultace obsahu projektu. Povinná je účast na obhajobě projektu.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MGR-SRP-KS Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
Guided consultation in combined form of studies
16 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer