FP-IBrmPAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course is focused on the following philosophy: the Success (company's, manager's) is conditioned on making changes inside of a company. With changed company's management is closely related the methods of risk decreasing.
The module is focused on the following fields: company's '7S' framework. A successful company, a successful manager. The decision making in a company. Types and analysis of risk. Methods of risks decreasing. Risk decreasing and investment evaluation in personal and company's invest. The risk connected with company's strategy change. Prognosis as instrument for decreasing company's risk.
Offered to foreign students
Of all faculties
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will know the traditional and modern procedures of risk measuring, including the most widely used methods of decreasing the company's risk. Students will acquire the basic necessary skills needed for analyzing and evaluation the company's risk, including the proposal for changing strategy in company with respect to risk analyze. Students will also be able to manage change processes standard strategy (both business as well as functional) each SBU firm.
Knowledge gained from subjefct Strategic management - strategic analyses and decision making in the company.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
HOPKIN, P. Fundamentals of risk management: understanding, evaluating and implementing effective risk management. 5th ed. New York: Kogan Page, 2018.
LAM, J. Enterprise risk management: from incentives to controls. New Jersey: John Wiley, 2003. ISBN 0-471-43000-5.
CROUHY, M., GALAI, D., MARK, R. The essentials of risk management. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2006. ISBN 0071429662.
ALLEN, B. J., LOYEAR, R., NOAKES-FRY, K. Enterprise security risk management: concepts and applications. Brookfield, Connecticut: Rothstein Publishing. 2018. ISBN 978-1-944480-44-8.
KENDRICK, T. Identifying and managing project risk: essential tools for failure-proofing your project. 2nd ed. New York: AMACON. 2009. ISBN 978-08-1441-340-1.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course contains lectures that explain basic principles, problems and methodology of the discipline, and exercises that promote the practical knowledge of the subject presented in the lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions for awarding the course-unit credit:
1. Active participation in exercises will be controlled and assessed by the teacher - max. 100 points.
2. Successful completion of a credit test - max assessment: 100 points in due term, 80 points in first reparative test and 60 points in second reparative test.
3. Successful elaboration of semester work in pre-set deadline. Maximum 100 points for handing over in the deadline max 80 points for late handing over.
4. Total number of points for awarding the course-unit credit has to be higher than 150.
Conditions for passing an exam: Knowledge of taught topics and its practical application.
Form of examination: Combined - a written test and an oral examination if necessary.
Language of instruction
Topics lectures are as follows:
1. Introduction - basic acquaintance with problems, continuity with study subjects.
2. Crisis of the company, protection against crisis, management recommendations in the fight against the crisis.
3. Critical moments of successful company development.
4. Models of planned changes in the company (Lenin model, Kotter, Nokia model).
5. Types and risk analysis.
6. Methods of risk reduction in company management.
7. Data, information and knowledge.
8. Fundamentals of investment mathematics and methodology of investment decision making.
9. Cyber security, cyber risks.
10. Risk reduction and investment evaluation in personal or corporate investment.
11. Risk associated with changing the company strategy.
12. Forecasting - a tool for risk reduction in the economic life of a company.
13. Application of UI tools to the process of risk reduction in projects.
The main objective of the course is to provide students with the theoretical foundations and methodology necessary for the identification, analysis and risk assessment of business processes. Attention is paid to methods of reducing the risk of failure of implementing the change processes of the company. Based on the understanding of the classical model of change (Lewins model) methodology is presented to the change of company strategy with consideration of risk processes. Methods of preventive removal of the causes of risky situations and methods of reducing the adverse consequences of risky situations are presented with concrete examples. As a tool of knowledge reduction of uncertainty about the future and reduce the risks involved are presented the basic principles of forecasting (with details of their principal advantages and disadvantages).
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Control of results of independent work on assigned tasks. In case of excused absence from seminars, the teacher can set additional condition if appropriate, usually elaboration of partial written task.