FP-VTAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course Introduction to IS / ICT is focused on gaining basic theoretical and practical knowledge including management skills in the field of information and communication systems. Information pieces are provided from the area of basic architecture of electronic communication systems and networks, individual components of network infrastructure, as well as from the theory of logical systems. From the practical point of view, tasks that will be solved, are focused on the design of a data network according to specific requirements, associated with market research and economic evaluation and elaborating of documentation.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will get basic knowledge from the area of electronic information and communication systems
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
JORDÁN, V. a ONDRÁK, V. Infrastruktura komunikačních systémů I: Univerzální kabelážní systémy. 2. rozš. vyd. Brno: CERM, Akademické nakladatelství, 2015. ISBN 978-80-214-5115-5. (CS)
SEIFERT, R. The Switch Book – The Complete Guide to LAN Switching Technology. John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 0-471-34586-5, USA, 2000. (CS)
JORDÁN, V. a ONDRÁK, V. Infrastruktura komunikačních systémů II: Kritické aplikace. 2. rozš. vyd. Brno: CERM, Akademické nakladatelství, 2015. ISBN 978-80-214-5240-4 (CS)
KŘÍŽ, J. a SEDLÁK, P. Audiovizuální a datové konvergence. Brno: CERM, 2012. ISBN 978-80-7204-784-0.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture - prezentations with explanation of the issue using audiovisual tools
Exercises - practical tasks from the discussed issues
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
To successfully complete the course, it is necessary to obtain:
1. credit - fulfillment of the following requirements:
- submission of individual tasks / written works with evaluation at least "sufficient - E"
2. final exam - practical and optional oral part - the practical part must be evaluated at least "sufficiently - E" for the graduate to be successful,
a) practical - submission of the network infrastructure design project, point evaluation max. 75 points out of 100,
b) oral - optional part, which follows only after successful completion of the practical part (at least 50 points, i.e. "sufficiently - E"), covers the whole content of the course, min. 5 questions will be asked.
TOTAL max. 100 points.
Language of instruction
1. Infrastructure of electronic communication networks - basic terms and definitions, types of transmission environments, methods and principles of information transmission, layer models of electronic communication systems, introduction to the technologies. Metallic cable systems - characteristics, cables, connectors, adapters. Optical cable systems - characteristics, cables, connectors, adapters. Other elements of passive communication infrastructure - data distribution boxes, path panels, optical distribution frames, earthing, elements for distribution organization - organizers, protectors, gutters, pipes, binding tapes, etc.
2. Introduction to design of communication system infrastructure - cabling systems (backbone, horizontal and working sections), switching nodes, terminal equipment. Management of network design tasks - standards, design and location of switchboards, planning of transmission capacities of backbone lines, marking, methods of cable routes, zone solutions, high-density systems. Economic, reliability and security aspects of network design.
3. Critical communication infrastructure (CCI) of the state / company - basic terms, requirements, definitions of MCN (Mission Critical Network) and NISS (Network Infrastructure Security Solution), aspects of the industrial environment. Critical communication systems - basic and advanced requirements for reliability, security and speed, topology and redundancy, synchronization, management systems, special passive layer materials and special active elements for CCI.
4. Digital systems for information processing - digitization, convergence, digital content, digital literacy, digital transformation. Information - bit, number systems, logic functions, logic members and basic logic circuits, application of the laws of Boolean algebra. Logic circuits - combinational circuits, sequential circuits.
5. Architecture of computer systems - processors, memories, graphical interfaces, communication interfaces, power supply, cooling. Architecture of PC, servers and active network elements.
Providing basic information and obtaining practical and management skills in the field of information and communication systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Submission of individual tasks
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BAK-MIn Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, compulsory