Introduction to Materials for Electrotechnics
FEKT-BKC-UMEAcad. year: 2020/2021
The subject provides basic knowledge in the field of materials for electrotechnics and electronics. The subject familiarizes students with the basic concepts, classification and distribution of substances. The main focus is on metallic conductors, semiconductors, dielectrics and magnetics materials.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- be knowledgeable in electronic and electrical materials,
- classify electrical materials according to electric conductivity and behavior in electric and magnetic fields,
- describe typical properties and parameters of particular categories of electrical materials and links between these properties and material structure and composition,
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Jirák, J., Autrata, R., Liedermann, K., Rozsívalová, Z., Sedlaříková, M.: Materiály a technická dokumentace, část Materiály v elektrotechnice. Elektronické texty, Brno 2002. (CS)
ŠAVEL, J. Elektrotechnologie, materiály, technologie a výroba v elektronice a elektrotechnice. 4. vyd. Praha : BEN, 2006. (CS)
|ŠAVEL, J. Elektrotechnologie v praxi. GRADA, 2009. (CS)
Springer Handbook of Electronic and Photonic Materials, 2nd ed. 2017 edition (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. They include lectures, exercisesand practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for successful completion of the subject are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
1. Materials for electrical and electronic engineering. Composition, structure and regulation of the material`s properties. Crystalline and amorphous matters.
2. Metallic materials. Conducting and resistive materials. Solders, materials for electric contacts, thermoelements, fuses. Superconductors.
3. Semiconductors. Elemental and compound semiconductors. Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors. Thermodynamic equilibrium of charge carriers.
4. Organic and inorganic insulating materials. Dielectric materials. Piezoelectrics, electrets. Dielectric polarization and electrical conductivity. Losses in dielectics.
5. Magnetic phenomena in maters and their essences, dia-, para-, ferro-, ferri-, antiferro-magnetic.
6. Hard and soft magnetic, materials for transformers, recording technique, converters, etc. Losses in magnetic materials.
7. Materials for the production of printed circuits. Substrate materials. Plating materials. Methods of production of printed circuits. Solders.
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with materials for electrical and electronic engineering, with their classification and with their important properties. This information enables basic orientation in selection of materials for constructions of electrotechnical and electronic devices and equipments.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in seminars is compulsory. Excused seminars can be made up.
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BKC-SEE Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory