Materials for Electrotechnics
FEKT-BPC-MPEAcad. year: 2020/2021
The subject provides basic knowledge in the field of materials for electrotechnics and electronics. The subject familiarizes students with the basic concepts, classification and distribution of substances. The main focus is on metallic conductors, semiconductors, dielectrics and magnetics materials.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- be knowledgeable in electronic and electrical materials,
- classify electrical materials according to electric conductivity and behavior in electric and magnetic fields,
- describe typical properties and parameters of particular categories of electrical materials and links between these properties and material structure and composition,
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Jirák, J., Autrata, R., Liedermann, K., Rozsívalová, Z., Sedlaříková, M.: Materiály a technická dokumentace, část Materiály v elektrotechnice. Elektronické texty, Brno 2002. (CS)
ŠAVEL, J. Elektrotechnologie, materiály, technologie a výroba v elektronice a elektrotechnice. 4. vyd. Praha : BEN, 2006. (CS)
|ŠAVEL, J. Elektrotechnologie v praxi. GRADA, 2009. (CS)
Springer Handbook of Electronic and Photonic Materials, 2nd ed. 2017 edition (EN)
Drápala L., Kursa M., ELEKTROTECHNICKÉ MATERIÁLY, VSB, TUO, 2012 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. They include lectures, exercises and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for successful completion of the subject are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
1. Materials for electrical and electronic engineering. Composition, structure and regulation of the material`s properties. Crystalline and amorphous matters.
2. Metallic materials. Conducting and resistive materials. Solders, materials for electric contacts, thermoelements, fuses. Superconductors.
3. Semiconductor materials. Elementary and compound semiconductors, organic semiconductors. Intrinsic semiconductors.
4. Extrinsic semiconductors. Semiconductor type N and P. Degenerated semiconductor. Thermodynamic equilibrium in semiconductors. Semiconductor conductivity.
5. Organic and inorganic insulating materials. Dielectric polarization and electrical conductivity. Dielectric materials. Piezoelectric, electrets. Losses in dielectrics.
6. Materials magnetically soft and magnetically hard. Fero and ferromagnetic materials, powder materials. Losses in magnetic materials.
7. Materials for the production of printed circuits. Substrate materials. Plating materials. Methods of production of printed circuits. Solders.
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with materials for electrical and electronic engineering, with their classification and with their important properties. This information enables basic orientation in selection of materials for constructions of electrotechnical and electronic devices and equipments.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in seminars is compulsory. Excused seminars can be made up.
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
specialization AUDB-TECH , 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory