Energy Storage Technologies
FEKT-MKC-UEOAcad. year: 2020/2021
Overview of energy storage, thermal and electrical storage. Storage of heat energy. Energy storage based on physical principles - flywheels, PVE, CAES, SMES. Electrochemical storage of energy, basic terms of electrochemistry and electrochemical sources. Lead accumulators, alkaline accumulators, lithium accumulators. Accumulators for special applications. Super capacitors. Fuel cells.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor's degrree level isrequested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
CENEK, Miroslav. Akumulátory od principu k praxi. Praha: FCC Public, 2003. ISBN 80-86534-03-0 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
up to 40 points during the semester (15 points from laboratory seminars and 25 points from written test)
up to 60 points from written final exam
Final exam is focused on verification of knowledge and orientation in the field of electrical materials.
Language of instruction
1. Overview of energy storage, thermal and electrical storage
2. Thermal energy storage
3. Power storage based on physical principles - flywheels, PVE, CAES, SMES
4. Basic terms of electrochemistry and electrochemical energy sources
5. Accumulators - overview. Lead accumulators, basic principles, division of structures
6. Lead accumulators
7. Alkaline batteries
8. Lithium accumulators, basic principles
9. Lithium batteries - safety
10. Accumulators for special applications, superconductors
11. redox flow batteries
12. Fuel Cells - Overview, Design, Characteristics.
13. Application of accumulators in independent power sources
The aim of the course is to provide basic information on various types of electrical and thermal energy storage and the possibilities of their deployment.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MKC-EVM Master's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional