Selected Topics of Electrical Engineering in English
FEKT-XPC-PZEAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course deals with the selected parts of the fundamentals of electricity. Possible methods of linear circuit analysis in stationary and harmonic steady state are discussed, including three-phase system. Another part of the course is dedicated to non-linear circuits, magnetic circuits and the theory of homogeneous transmission line. Lectures are held in English.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to:
- Describe the properties of ideal and real circuit elements;
- Apply the analysis of linear circuits in stationary and harmonic steady state;
- Calculate the characteristic values of time-varying voltage and current waveforms and describe the principle and the importance of harmonic analysis of signals;
- Describe methods for solving of nonlinear non-conservative circuits and apply them to simple circuits;
- Describe the basic values and laws of magnetic circuits as they are used to calculate the parameters of specified magnetic circuit;
- Describe the parameters of transmission lines and explain the importance of secondary line parameters.
Students will be equipped with the appropriate technical terminology in English.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required. In the range of the used mathematical tools students should be able to:
- editing mathematical expressions;
- calculate the solution of simple linear equations;
- use mathematics in the field of complex numbers;
- apply the basics of matrix calculus;
- calculate the derivative, definite and indefinite integrals of simple linear functions of one variable and basic trigonometric functions.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Electronics Fundamentals: Circuit, Devices and Applications. Merril Publishing Company, USA: 1997 (EN)
BRANČÍK, L. Elektrotechnika 1. VUT v Brně: VUT v Brně, 2004. s. 1 ( s.) (CS)
SEDLÁČEK, J., VALSA, J. ELEKTROTECHNIKA II. Brno: VUT Brno , FEKT, 2004. s. 1 ( s.)ISBN: 80-214-2573- 3. (CS)
BASTIAN, P. a kol. Praktická elektrotechnika. Europa-Sobotáles, Praha 2004 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Teachning methods include lectures and seminars. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
To obtain examination the participation on min. 75 % of the seminars is required. Requirements for completion of a course are: to gain examination and to perform a final written test, in which a student can receive a maximum of 100 pts. Minimal necessary achieved total mark to pass this course is 50 points.
Language of instruction
1. Ideal and real RLC circuit elements. Laws of electric circuits. Measurement of basic circuit parameters (resistance, current, voltage and power).
2. Analysis of electric circuits in stationary steady state. Universal methods of analysis.
3. Analysis of electric circuits in stationary steady state. Special methods of analysis.
4. Time variables: characteristic values, harmonic analysis, signal spectrum.
5. Harmonic steady state: a symbolic analysis of linear circuits, impedance.
6. Work and power, power factor, power matching.
7. Three-phase circuits, the star and delta arrangement, power in three-phase circuits.
8. Generation, transmission and distribution of electric energy.
9. Properties of passive linear circuits of first and second order. Frequency filters, resonant circuits.
10. Non-linear elements and circuits, approximation of characteristics.
11. Magnetic circuits: basic parameters, basic laws, magnetic circuits with permanent magnets, transformers, analysis of magnetic circuits.
12. Transmission lines: primary and secondary parameters, characteristic impedance, matched and non-distorting transmission line, transient phenomena in transmission lines.
The aim of the course is to repeat and deepen some knowledge of electrical engineering and circuit theory taught in the first year of undergraduate study and introduce the corresponding English terms.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is controlled because of the required 75 % participation.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
- Programme BPC-AMT Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-BTB Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BKC-EKT Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-IBE Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BKC-MET Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BKC-SEE Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-SEE Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BKC-TLI Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, elective