Laboratory Classes in Drinking Water Treatment Technology I
FCH-MCO_TEV1_PAcad. year: 2020/2021
Selected technological tests in the field of water technology (determination of the optimal dose of coagulant in surface water treatment by a classic coagulation test, problems of water hardness using an ionex bed, dewatering and demagnetization of model water, biological wastewater treatment - nitrification, sludge microbiology, use of advanced oxidation processes - including the necessary analytical methods and the processing of results), in the form of six separate tasks designed for the full-time (8 hours) work of a pair of students.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will acquire new skills, knowledge and experience in these areas and increase the competence of students as follows:
1. Students will gain an overview of selected experimental methods used in water treatment technology.
2. Students will be able to perform selected technological tests used in water treatment technology.
3. Students will be able to use physico-chemical, chemical and physical methods analysis of materials tested in gone over technological tests.
4. Students will know instrumental technique used in gone over technological tests.
5. Students will know the methodology and evaluation of selected technological tests inclusive of experimental data treatment by methods of mathemtical analysis and mathematical statistics.
6. Students will gain a capability of autonomous labor in application of selected technological tests from field of water treatment, inclusive of necessary chemical analysis and their evaluation.
Knowledge from courses: Hydrochemistry, Analytical chemistry, Chemical engineering
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
L. Žáček: Laboratorní cvičení z technologie vody. FCH VUT v Brně, 1995 (CS)
Kol. aut.: Laboratorní metody v technologii vody. Vyd. VŠCHT Praha, 1997 (CS)
Ferdinand Tuček, Jan Chudoba a Zdeněk Koníček: Základní procesy a výpočty v technologii vody. SNTL Praha 1988 (CS)
E-learning -návody ke cvičení (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Learning outcomes of the course unit: Laboratory exercise - 4 lessons per week. For laboratory reasons, the laboratory exercise is scheduled to be 8 hours every 14 days. The LMS Moodle e-learning system is available to lecturers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course unit credit. Conditions for awarding the course unit credit: participation in all laboratory classes, submitting all reports (in written or electronic form) in satisfactory quality.
Language of instruction
1. Coagulation tests - Treatment of surface water for drinking water
2. Removal of iron and manganese from drinking water
3. Softening on a mixbed, & quot; pressure filtration & quot;
4. Biological treatment of municipal waste water - nitrification, denitrification
5. Advanced oxidation processes using UV radiation, hydrogen peroxide
6. Microbiology of activated sludge
Practical acquaintance with basic technological processes of water treatment and wastewater treatment including necessary chemical analyzes and methods of numerical and mathematicalistic processing of obtained experimental results.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Requirements for the awarding of the credit are participation in all tasks of the practitioner, submission of all protocols (in electronic or written form) of suitable quality and successfully pass the credit test.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NKCP_CHTOZP Master's
branch NKCO_CHTOZP , 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme NPCP_CHTOZP Master's
branch NPCO_CHTOZP , 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory