Laboratory Classes in the Preparation and Test Methods I
FCH-MCO_PTM1_PAcad. year: 2020/2021
Properties control by ultrasonic Non-destructive methods. Determination of reology properties of hardening pastes and mortars by automatic penetrometer. Volume stability of cement. Chemical resistance of glass. Calorimetry. Determination of normal consistency. Hardening time period. Particle size distribution.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Experimental experience with tests and analyzes of inorganic binders - cement.
Experimental experience with tests and analyzes of inorganic binders - lime.
Understanding the principle of test methods.
Knowledge of non-destructive methods of material testing.
Overview of standard literature.
Basic knowledge from physics, mathematics, chemistry a silicate technology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Ptáček P, Opravil T, Šoukal F, Havlica J, Praktikum z preparativních a testovacích metod I, VUT v Brně, 2012. ISBN 978-80-214-4392-1 (CS)
Bláha J. a kol.: Příručka pro práci v laboratoři technologie silikátů. VŠCHT Praha, Praha 1987. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Laboratory exercise - 4 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit test (45 min) verifying the knowledge of the course of laboratory procedures and tests.
Language of instruction
1) Determination of specific surface of cement, determination of slag content in cement
2) Non-destructive methods of ultrasonic quality control of materials, determination of rheological properties of setting pastes and mortars by automatic penetrometer
3) Determination of volume stability of cement
4) Determination of normal consistency, determination of solidification times, determination of particle size distribution
5) Non-destructive methods - ultrasound
6) Analysis of acid-degradable silicates
8) Heat microscopy
9) Lime yield
10) Lime activity
11) Lime reactivity
12) Determination of carbon dioxide
13) Determination of free lime
The aim is to increase the student's ability to understand the preparation and testing methods used in research and technology laboratories. Students will acquire practical skills with instruments and procedures used in the analysis and testing of inorganic binders.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
reports from individual works till 7 day after work
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NKCP_CHM Master's
branch NKCO_CHM , 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme NPCP_CHM Master's
branch NPCO_CHM , 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
Guided consultation in combined form of studies
26 hours, obligation not entered
Teacher / Lecturer
52 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course