Microbiology in food industry and biotechnology
FCH-MCO_MPBAcad. year: 2020/2021
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The fundamental knowledge of General microbiology and Biochemistry.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Görner, F., Valík, L´.: Aplikovaná mikrobiológia požívatín, Malé Centrum, Bratislava 2004 (CS)
Šilhánková L.: Mikrobiologie pro potravináře a biotechnology. Academia Praha, Praha 2002. (CS)
Doyle M. P., Beuchat L. R., Montville T. J.: Food microbiology, fundamentals and frontiers. American Society of Microbiology Press, Washington 1993. (CS)
Hui Y. H.: Handbook of Food Science, Technology and Engineering. Dekker/CRC Press, New York 2005. (CS)
Prescott L. M., Harley J. P., Klein D. A.: Microbiology. McGraw-Hill Education, Boston 2005. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Lecture - 2 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Exam: Written test, composed of answers to 20 questions. This written part can possibly be combined with oral examination.
Language of instruction
1. Nomenclature of microorganisms, their taxonomic insertion and the mode of maintenance
2. Morphology, reproduction anf physiological properties of microorganisms (bacteria and fungi)
3. Basic features of metabolism of microorganisms, their industrial importance.
4. Cultivation of industrially relevant microorganisms.
5. Regulation of production of enzymes and important metabolites.
6. Microbial corrosion.
7. Immobilized systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPCP_CHTP Master's
branch NPCO_CHTP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme NKCP_CHTP Master's
branch NKCO_CHTP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional