Applied kinetics and catalysis
FCH-MCO_AKKAcad. year: 2020/2021
Kinetics of simple reactions and their systems in solution, kinetics of heterogeneous katalytic reaktions, principles of heterogeneous catalysis, kinetics of enzymatic reactions. Kinetics of photochemical reactions. Genaral principes of chemical reactors balance - mass and heat balance.
Mathematical description of continuously stirred tank reactor, ideal stirred flow reactor and reactor with piston flow. Ideal reactor comparison. Inner and external transfer of mass and heat influence. Reactors for heterogeneous systems.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Completing the course, students should obtain more complex view on problems of chemical kinetics. Finishing the studies at the Faculty, they should be able to solve the problems in the field of chemical kinetics in laboratory or industrial practice.
Basic knowledge from chemical kinetics, obtained within the subject Physical chemistry II., Basic knowledge of differentiation and integration.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Atkins P. W.: Fyzikálna chémia. Oxford/STU Bratislava, Bratislava 1999. (CS)
Treindl L.: Chemická kinetika. SPN Bratislava 1978. (CS)
House J.E.: Principles of chemical kinetics, Elsevier, 2007 (CS)
Fogler H.S.: Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering (EN)
Kraus M.: Chemická kinetika pro inženýry (CS)
Eckert: Aplikovaná chemická kinetika (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Lecture - 2 teaching hours per week, Seminar - 1 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Written exam. Seminars inolves written tests and active discussion. The evaluation is based on:
• result of tests (weight 75 %, each test is rated with 0–100 points),
• discussion on seminars (weight 25 %, each seminar is rated with 0–100 points).
At least 50 points are needed in average of both weighted results. Further, written solution to prescribed excersises should be handed in.
Language of instruction
1. Kinetics of simple reactions and their systems in solution.
2. Kinetics of heterogeneous katalytic reaktions, principles of heterogeneous catalysis.
3. Kinetics of enzymatic reactions, kinetics of photochemical reactions.
4. Genaral principes of chemical reactors balance - mass and heat balance.
5. Continuously stirred tank reactor – mathematical description.
6. Ideal stirred flow reactor – mathematical description.
7. Reactor with piston flow – mathematical description.
8. Ideal reactor comparison.
9. Inner transfer of mass and heat influence.
10. External transfer of mass and heat influence.
11. Reactors for heterogeneous systems.
The goal of the subject is the improvement of knowledge of basic course of chemical kinetics, presented within Physical Chemistry II. Students are aquainted with the kinetic analysis of reactions, which is in comparison with basic course substantially more sophisticated from mathematical point of view.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Seminars - written tests and active discussion.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPCP_SCH Master's
branch NPCO_SCH , 2. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
- Programme NKCP_SCH Master's
branch NKCO_SCH , 2. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
- Programme AKREDITACE Master's
specialization --- , 2. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
Guided consultation in combined form of studies
26 hours, obligation not entered
Teacher / Lecturer
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course