Contemporary Materials and Technology
FA-ESMTAcad. year: 2020/2021
For students, future architects, knowledge of the physical properties of materials and utility of new technology and procedures used in architecture and engineering are very important in decision making and often determines the quality of the final work. Complete approach is in terms of final design new buildings and the restoration and reconstruction of cultural and historical objects is very important and can be a motive to improve their professional qualities.
Offered to foreign students
The home faculty only
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will learn about the production and properties of building materials and their use in construction. Above all it is a modification of concrete, construction ceramics, binders and grout, metals, building glass, wood, heat, sound and waterproofing materials, polymers, adhesives, textiles,...
Knowledge of the Bachelor's degree studies in the fields of architecture, engineering, construction, building technology and building environment.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Dedek, M.: Building materials. Prague, Ministry of Construction and Building Industry, 1989. 384 p.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
In lectures, the development of knowledge and information, individual work with students and will be conducted through consultations and seminars.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Condition of classification seminar paper, cast in the term and the required quality and scope. The resulting classification consists of seminar papers and evaluation test results, the test consists of the questions from the lectures.
Graded credit, the form determines Study and Examination Regulations and Directives of Dean of the Faculty of Architecture.
Language of instruction
1. Traditional building technologies and materials, technological processes in building construction, using traditional building materials for the construction. The use of burnt and clay masonry to improve microclimate in buildings. The use of stone masonry.
2. Construction and historical research and the most common disorders of historic buildings, technological procedures for reconstruction and rehabilitation of disorders, technology implementation and repair of wooden ceilings and arches, roof trusses structures, static defects of masonry, rehabilitation of moisture, ...
3. Building materials and technology used between 1945 and 1990, the issue of prefabricated buildings, revitalization, modernization and rehabilitation of prefab houses, ...
4. Concrete, components, types, properties and production of concrete, lightweight concrete, special concrete, exposed concrete. Monolithic design and the implementation thereof, formwork for monolithic structures and storage technologies of concrete.
5. Walling recycled materials for building a modern, technological processes in brickwork, ceramic masonry, clay masonry materials, ...
6. Wood in the building industry, types of wood used in building, technology, wood joints, glued wood and use wood for structures of buildings, wooden structures and effects of fire resistance, heat-treated wood and the use of exotic wood, ...
7. Glass in building, insulating glass, Heat Mirror technology, implementation of glass-concrete structures, frameless glazing. Glass in the supporting structures, as an element of interior glass, transparent facade systems, ...
8. Filling holes and ways of their incorporation into a building structure, wood, plastic and aluminum structures fillings, special hole fillings for energy-efficient passive houses, technological process of installation windows, overhaul and repair of historic windows, ...
9. Isolation of moisture and water, acid-resistant isolation, waterproofing materials and application procedures, asphalt, backfilling and waterproof foil, technology implementation, sealing and construction of the white baths, leak testing and remediation waterproofing, ...
10. Thermal insulation materials and application procedures, mineral insulation, plastic, glass, transparent and vacuum insulation, special insulation from alternative materials, ...
11. Plastics, polymers, sealant, adhesives, paints, division of plastic materials, the issue of plastics in relation to their durability and useful life, the use of plastics in construction. Thermoplastics and thermosets. The main applications of PVC, PE and PP. chemical anchoring systems.
12. Metals in construction, composite materials and their uses, types of composite materials, the use of composite materials, the use of composites in construction. Manufacture of fiber-cement boards and their use.
13. Binders and mortar, tiles, coatings, facade systems. Production of mortar, using dry mixtures. Implementation of the plaster and ceramic tiles.
The aim is to make students familiar with physical and performance of materials and technologies applied in their production and application in building construction.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Teaching takes the form of lectures with Active Participation of the student During the semester, students Develop individually selected topic of seminar work. Attendance at lectures is optional, control does not take place here.
Substitute teaching determined Study and Examination of BUT, Regulations and Guidelines Dean Faculty of Architecture.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer