Competitiveness and Communication of Small Company
FP-BCCSMEAcad. year: 2019/2020
Key aspect of the course is focus on small and middle-sized companies. Concepts of development of company competitiveness based on success-ability based concept, resource based view, core competencies and brand development. Communication of company. Definition of key elements of strategy of company. Evaluation of competitiveness of company. Principles of brand development and their application in business model development. Competitive advantage and value for customer.
Nabízen zahradničním studentům
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be introduced to concepts of strategy and competitiveness. Students will learn application of success-ability concept in small and middle-sized companies. Students will be able to define and evaluate strategic goals for company development on the base of analysis of competitive environment. Students will be able to choose appropriate approach to the development of competitive advantage and competitiveness of small and middle-sized company. Students will be familiar with principles of development of value, resources, core competencies and brand development in the context of company competitiveness. Student know theoretical concepts of competitiveness evaluation and will be able to implement them in practice. Student will gain knowledge of marketing communication and will understand differences between marketing communication tools in context of brand, product and company. Students will be capable to decide about suitability of marketing communication tools in the context of strategic entrepreneurial goals.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation is based on points from the project, its defence and points from written exam combined with oral examination. Score can be as following:
• Evaluation of continuous work at seminars – up to 40 points, required minimum is 20 points.
• Project defence – up to 60 points – based on team discussion. Students must prove both practical knowledge of solved problem and knowledge of theoretical background.
• Exam – written with oral examination – up to 100 points
Written exam with oral examination
First par consist of 10 multiple choice questions (ABCDE), second part consist of two open tasks with partial questions. Multiple choice questions are evaluated: correct answer “+ 1 point”, wrong answer “- 1 point” and no answer “0”. Just one answer is correct. Each open task is evaluated 20 point. Students have 15 minutes for the first part and 60 minutes for the second part. No materials can be used for the first part, second part is open book type. Oral examination follows written part. Maximum of points is 100.
Project elaboration and project defence
Project is solved in teams (3 – 8 members). Students can choose either analytical or complex project -for detailed specification see e-learning. Students must establish team, define the project goal and submit the specification of assignment until 6th week of semester. One consultation, at least, is compulsory before submission. Final defence is planned for two last weeks of semester and first two weeks of exam period. Time reserved for on defence is 60 – 120 minutes. Whole team must participate. Missing members must come individually. Whole project must be submitted one week before the defence - electronic version, pdf file (use surname of one management member as file name). Project submission and ate least 10 points from seminars is required minimum for evaluation from seminars. The defence test both practical knowledge of solved problem and knowledge of theoretical background. Whole team is evaluated. Peer evaluation of team members can be part of evaluation.
Late project submission: -10b
Late assignment submission: -10b
Compulsory consulting missing: -10b
Final mark follows from number of points and respect ECTS. Retakes are defined by Study and Examination Code.
Language of instruction
1. Success-ability based strategy and traditional concept of strategy. 3D view of objectives and company success in small and middle-sized company.
2. Competitive space, identification of competitive links. Evaluation of competition, competitors, competitive relations, competitive rules, market and customer segments.
3. Competitiveness of company in business models, modification for conditions of small and middle-sized companies. Definition of competitive base, competitive character of strategy, typology of competitive advantages.
4. Development of competitive advantages in success-ability based conception, managerial model of competitiveness. Analysis of customer value creation for advantage and brand development in small company.
5. Brand and brand development as factor of competitiveness of small and middle-sized company.
6. Comparison of approaches of large and small companies in the process of development of competitiveness.
7. Marketing communication of small and middle-sized companies. Communication of small company in the context of brand, product and service.
8. Psychological, legal and ethical aspects of communication and advertising.
9. Creation of advertising, product photography, creation of advertising and communication materials.
10. Media in communication mix and marketing communication.
11. Communication activities and plans of advertising campaigns.
12. Complex evaluation of success-ability potential.
13. Formulation and evaluation of strategy of development of competitiveness and implementation activities in small company.
The main course objective is introduction of concept of strategic approach to the development of small and middle-sized companies with specific focus on own competitiveness, communication and brand development.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures and seminars is required and controlled. Each absence is penalized with 5 points subtraction from the final score.
At least one consulting meeting of assignment and at least one consulting of procedure is required. The attendance at the presentation and defence of project is compulsory.