FAST-XZ057Acad. year: 2019/2020
The course provides practical mastery of presentation skills. Students will learn the theory of complex preparation of the presentation at the lectures and at the seminars they will present specialized topic from field of civil engineering. Students are provided with group and individual feedback based on which students can enhance the effectiveness of their presentations for professionals and the general public. We will demonstrate how to structure the content of our speech with regard to important factors that affect the perception of the speaker - the curve of your audience's attention and nonverbal forms communication.
Institute of Social Sciences (SPV)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of ethic principles and their connections with management. Understanding of human change in firm culture, manager´s personality and firm strategy.
No special knowledge is needed, except those gained on a High school (about human communication).
Knowledge of basics from general and social psychology is invited.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to the topic. Selection of a theme for spoken presentation.
2. Assessment criteria for the presentations. Stage fright and relaxation techniques.
3. Emotional intelligence. Empathy and its role in interpersonal communication.
4. The role of self-knowledge and self-monitoring in communication. Criticism and praise in communication.
5. Basics of the nonverbal communication. Principles of appropriate verbal and nonverbal expression. Beginning with the presentation.
6. Analysis of the most common mistakes in speech in terms of nonverbal communication .
7. Verbal communication, public speech. Rhetorics. Physiology of the speech act. Work and exercise with speech organs.
8. Types of presentations (informative, persuasing and improvised) and their specifics. Work with the audience. Presentation of the results on the professional and lay level.
9. Software support of presentations. Presentation tools and their appropriate use.
10. Ethics and etiquette in terms of presentation situations.
11. Specifics of presentations of civil engineering disciplines.
12. Specifics of team presentations. The role of the individual in the working group.
13. Presentation of printed materials. Written communication.
Orientation in subject, ability to aplicate of knowledge, information and practises in professional and personal life.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.