Metal Structures 3
FAST-CO002Acad. year: 2019/2020
Steel towers: categorization; static and dynamic analysis; fatigue strength.
Connections in steel construction system.
Thin-walled cold-formed structures: design principles; specific problems of thin-walled cold-formed structural members; limit states; connections; practical usage.
Institute of Metal and Timber Structures (KDK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students have to manage the aim of the subject, make the acquaintance with course problematic and practice their knowledge and acquirements.
Metal structures - design of elements and connections of steel structures. Structural Mechanics, Elasticity and Plasticity.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Steel towers – categorization, load.
2. Steel towers - static and dynamic analysis.
3. Fatigue strength.
4. Connections in steel construction system, Classification of semi rigid connection.
5. Rotation stiffness, moment carrying capacity, numerical analysis.
6. Thin-walled cold-formed structural members – basis of design, material properties, cross-section chracteristics.
7. Local and distorsional buckling of thin-walled cold-formed structural members - theoretical principles of the behaviour, basis of design and assessment in engineering practice.
8. Ultimate and serviseability limit states of thin-walled cold-formed structural members – basis of design and assessemnt.
9. Connections of thin-walled cold-formed structural members – mechanical and welded connections.
10. Strustures made of thin-walled cold-formed structural members – examples of realized structures, practical aspects of design and realization.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans