Chemistry of Building Materials
FAST-CC051Acad. year: 2019/2020
Chemical bond, chemical equilibrium. Kinetics of chemical reactions. Thermal balance of chemical reaction. Water, ionization, pH. Chemistry of inorganic non-metallic materials - composition, properties and degradation. Chemistry and electrochemistry of metallic building materials, electrochemical potentials, corrosion of metals, and protection. Chemical properties of polymers, their stability and degradation. Biocorrosion of building materials.
Institute of Chemistry (CHE)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student gets the aim of subject under control, i. e. chemical reactions of the solid structure of inorganic binder forming, chemical properties of metals, and degradation and corrosion processes of building materials.
Base of general chemistry, kinds of chemical bonds in compounds, reaction kinetics, dissociation, electrolytes, base knowledge of electrochemistry, standard electrode potentials, base knowledge of inorganic chemistry, base of organic chemistry, principal of chemical terminology, stoichiometric calculations.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Chemical bond. Chemical equilibrium.
2. Kinetics of chemical reaction. Thermal balance of chemical reaction.
3. Water – structure, ionization, pH, substances content in water, and their effect on building materials.
4. Porosity of building materials. Transport of water and salts.
5. Chemistry of gypsum and anhydrite binders, properties of hardened gypsum, and degradation.
6. Chemistry of lime binders, plasters and mortars, degradation, renovation of plasters.
7. Degradation of ceramics – composition, porous structure, crystallization pressure of salts in pores. Chemistry of glass, and corrosion.
8. Chemical properties of cement paste in concrete.
9. Degradation processes of cement paste in concrete caused by atmosphere and aggressive solutions.
10. Chemical properties of aggregates in concrete, degrading processes. Stability and degradation of fibre reinforcement.
11. Chemistry of polymers based on carbon and silicon chains. Degradation of polymers.
12. Electrochemical properties of metals, electrochemical potentials. Metal corrosion. Corrosion of steel reinforcement in concrete, in water, soil corrosion, atmospheric corrosion.
13. Biocorrosion of building materials – fungi, alga, bacteria. Protection to corrosion and degradation of building materials.
Chemical processes of the solid structure of inorganic binder forming, electrochemical properties of metals, degradation and corrosion processes of building materials.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans