FAST-AG008Acad. year: 2019/2020
Set of basic information on the process of the preservation of the architectonic heritage and its cultural values, aiming at comprehension of the importance of the monument preservation. The principles of determining the conception of monument interventions as a procedure issuing from the construction documents and familiarization with a building and leading to a new functional utilization and rehabilitation of a monument.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will manage the goal of the subject, i.e. knowledge of the monument restoration and renewal, architectonic heritage, development of the preservation of monuments, methods of the preservation of monuments, legislation of the protection of monuments, historical settlement protection.
The subject presupposes and develops the knowledge of the history of architecture; it may partly apply the knowledge of the civil engineering subjects. However, it is, for the most part, an independent specific discipline with its own methodological basis and legislation.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Significance of the architectonic and urban heritages in the historical context
2. Characteristics of the generic structure of the architectonic and urban heritages
3. Transformation of an architectonic work in the particular style periods
4. Transformation of the settlement structures in the historical context
5. Development of the protection and preservation of monuments
6. Methods of the preservation of monuments – purism, scientific restoration, conservation
7. International institutions, documents and forms of the cultural heritage preservation
8. Contemporary preservation of monuments – sources, methods, conception
9. Organization, classification and legislation provision of the preservation of monuments
10. Conception of the monument intervention – construction documents, analysis, investigations
11. Conception of the monument intervention – new functional utilization, choice of the method
12. Forms of the protection of the historical settlements and their parts
13. New creation in the historical environment – genius loci, authenticity of the environment
Knowledge of the monument restoration and renewal, architectonic heritage, development of the preservation of monuments, methods of the preservation of monuments, legislation of the protection of monuments, historical settlement protection.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.