Architecture of Engineering Constructions
FAST-TG51Acad. year: 2019/2020
Engineering constructions as a part of architectural creativity, typological principles and aesthetic values. Application of theoretical knowledge in notable, carefully selected engineering constructions.
History and development of engineering constructions. Typology and design of engineering constructions – roads, railways, underground tracks, airports, constructions for power engineering, waterways, weirs, dams and reservoirs, bridges, water tanks, gas tanks, towers, open structures, ecological constructions.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
knowledge of the history and development of engineering construction
knowledge of the typology of engineering constructions
knowledge of the constructions involved in engineering construction, including statics
creative applications of engineering constructions in the creation of the cultural landscape
General knowledge of the typology of production and utility constructions, knowledge of the constructions of the engineering construction and statics disciplines within the scope of the bachelor’s degree course.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Václav Kučera: Typologie inženýrských staveb pro architekty. ČVUT Praha, 1985. (CS)
Václav Kučera: Architektura mostů. ČVUT Praha, 2002. (CS)
Václav Kučera: Architektura inženýrských staveb. GRADA PUBLISHING, 2009. ISBN 978-80-247-2504-8. (CS)
Pavel Cerha: Encyklopedie staveb silničních, vodních, železničních a mostních. České Budějovice : Průmyslová škola, 1934. (CS)
Ladislav Pacholík: Estetika mostních staveb. Umění-věda-život.,Praha, 1946. (CS)
Josef Špůrek: Silniční stavitelství I. a II.. SNTL Praha, 1972. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. History and development of engineering constructions
2. Typology and design of engineering constructions – roads, railways, underground tracks, airports
3. Typology and design of engineering constructions – constructions for power engineering
4. Seminar I – assignment of the seminar project, consultation
5. Typology and design of engineering constructions – waterways, weirs, dams, reservoirs
6. Typology and design of engineering constructions – bridges I
7. Typology and design of engineering constructions – bridges II
8. Seminar II – consultation
9. Typology and design of engineering constructions – telecommunication and radio towers, mining tower, gas tanks, open structures
10. Constructions for ecology – waste water treatment plants, incineration plants, water tanks
11. Application of artistic categories in engineering constructions by contemporary architects
12. Seminar III – consultation
13. Seminar IV – presentation of seminar projects
Familiarisation with the history and development of engineering constructions,
explanation of typological principles of engineering constructions,
the construction principles of engineering constructions,
principles of the static solution of engineering constructions,
the application of engineering constructions in the creation of the cultural landscape.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.