Electrical Engineering of Production Machines II
FSI-GE2-KAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course extends students knowledge of problems of electric equipment production machinery and equipment. In particular, it concerns the design of this equipment with regard to the required characteristics and safety, the dynamic properties of the propulsion systems, the possibilities of their modeling.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The acquired knowledge and skills enable students to master the engineering design of the electrotechnical equipment of production machines and equipment at high professional level and to understand the internal processes taking place in these facilities.
Differential equations, Laplace transformation, fundamentals of mechanics dynamics, fundamentals of theory of electric machines and drives, schematics and functions of electric energy converters, fundamentals of electrotechnical equipment of production machines.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
SOUČEK, Pavel. Servomechanismy ve výrobních strojích. Praha: Vydavatelství ČVUT, 2004. ISBN 80-01-02902-6.
ZAHRADNÍK, Jiří. Elektrická výzbroj obráběcích strojů. V Plzni: Západočeská univerzita, 2006. ISBN 80-7043-494-5.
KOBRLE, Pavel a Jiří PAVELKA. Elektrické pohony a jejich řízení. 3. přepracované vydání. V Praze: České vysoké učení technické, 2016. ISBN 978-80-01-06007-0.
DRURY, Bill. Control techniques drives and controls handbook, 2nd edition. IET, 2001.
PYRHÖNEN, Juha, Valeria HRABOVCOVÁ a Scott SEMKEN. Electrical machine drives control: an introduction. Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom: Wiley, 2016.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical computer exercises.
According to the possibility of teaching can be organized lectures for students by practitioners and excursions to companies focused on activities related to the course content.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions for granting the credit:
1. Passing all exercises (100% attendance),
2. Processing the assigned project.
Exam: The exam is combined, has a written and oral part and examines the complex knowledge of the subject.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to broaden students' knowledge in the field of electrical weapons production machines and systems in the areas of design practice, the dynamic behavior of drives and drive systems modeling. The goal of the subject is to achieve higher level of knowledge so that the students are able to apply the above mentioned devices and their components in their profession and to orient themselves in the wide market offer of individual manufacturers.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Controlled lessons are exercises. Exercises are obligatory, while attendance at the exercises is controlled. The student has to pass the missed lesson with another group if possible, or in exceptional cases, by completing homework on the topic. The level of this work is evaluated by the teacher.
Type of course unit
17 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Rules for selecting motors - type of motors, duty cycles and working areas of electric motors (constant power range, constant torque area - conditions)
2. Procedures for selecting motors with respect to operating cycles and working conditions (eg ambient temperature - derating), cabling sizing and protection procedures
3. Creation of electrotechnical documentation, Auxiliary electrical equipment in machine tools - clamps, contacts, power supplies, measuring devices, etc.
4. Normative requirements for electrical equipment of machine tools
5. General safety requirements in electrical engineering
6. Safety features within the electrical part of machine tools
7. Functional safety within the electrical part of machine tools
8. Calculation of reliability of electrical components
9. Rules for connecting basic electric components of production machines
10. Dynamic properties of electrical machines, influence of regulation
11. Properties of electric machines at power supply - influence on losses, bearing currents / shaft voltages, EMC
12. Modeling of drive systems of production machines, prediction of electricity consumption in production machines, efficiency
13. Measurement and diagnostics of electric drives
35 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1-11. Software tools for the design of electrical equipment of production machines and systems
12. Study of functional safety of production machines and systems (ABB Jokab)