Computer Graphics I
FSI-YPBAcad. year: 2019/2020
Students will become familiar with programs for creating and editing raster graphics. They learn to work with basic and advanced tools (drawing, working with layers, retouching, transformations, masks). The subject will lead to the creation of 2D graphics, especially printed, large graphics and Web graphics
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will gain knowledge of work in programs for creating and editing raster graphics, which will enable them to create quality graphic outputs of their projects (pictures in technical reports and presentations, presentation posters, visualization) in the next years.
Students are expected to have elementary knowledge of working with PC, Windows and the ability of creative thinking.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Adobe Creative Team: Adobe Photoshop CS5, ISBN: 9788025132258
FAULKNER, Andreu a Conrad CHAVEZ. Adobe Photoshop CC. Indianapollis: Computer Press, 2016. ISBN 978-80-251-4741-2.
SIMMONS, Jason. Kompletní příručka pro designéry: virtual product design. V Praze: Slovart, 2009. ISBN 978-807-3911-515.
Uživatelská příručka k aplikaci Photoshop. Uživatelská příručka k aplikaci Photoshop [online]. Adobe Systems Software Ireland, 2017. Dostupné z: https://helpx.adobe.com/cz/photoshop/user-guide.html
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course has the form of seminars in computer labs, which are focused on practical skills.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Classified credit requirements: attendance in lessons, meeting deadlines of assigned projects, practical test verifying the knowledge of work with the software and ability of creative work. Resulting evaluation consists of evaluation of indiividual projects, tasks and a test. In total it will be possible to acquire 100 points. Resulting classification will be defined by the ECTS scale. If some of the projects and test are awarded less than half of the maximum pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed". According to the article No. 13 of Study and Examination Rules of Brno University of Technology ECTS evaluation degree scale is used. . If some of the projects are awarded less than 50 pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed". The course is evaluated with the following grades: ECTS EVALUATION DEGREES / PTS. RATING / NUMERIC RATING: A / 100 - 90 / 1 / Excellent; B /89 - 80 / 1,5 / Very good; C / 79 - 70 / 2 / Good; D / 69 - 60 / Satisfactory; E / 59 - 50 / Sufficient; F / 49 - 0 / 4 / Failed.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course in terms of learning outcomes and competences The aim of the course is to acquaint students with work in programs for creating and editing raster graphics. Work on these programs will create 2D raster graphical outputs for printed, electronic and multimedia graphics.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Compulsory attendance at seminars. Education runs according to the week schedule. The way of compensation of missed seminars is specified by the tutor.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B-PDS-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Program environment, philosophy of work, creating a new project, the layout of the main tools, files, color schemes;
2. Working with layers, tools to create free graphics, brush, eraser, filler;
3. Advanced settings of brushes, custom brushes, brush import, use pressure and simulated pressure for properties of working tools;
4. Working with selections, tools for manual selection, area selection, selection by color, advanced tools for selecting, storing and reloading selections;
5. Retouching tools, based on brushes, tools for retouching areas, the combination of graphics across layers;
6. Color corrections and image adjustments, changes in color image mode;
7. Working with filters and effects;
8. Working with text, text properties, text blocks, transformation, export;
9. Smart Objects, linked files, groups of layers;
10. Using raster and vector masks, vector objects, paths, channels;
11. Layer Styles, special types of layers, adjustment layers, Smart Filters;
12. 3D tools, 3D layers, importing and exporting 3D geometry and mapping;
13. Export options, tools to prepare the graphics for the web, animation.
eLearning: currently opened course