FSI-YKSAcad. year: 2019/2020
Drawing of still life is an appropriate method to develop drawing skills. Students are encouraged to capture the combination of shapes, sizes, colors and materials, the overall composition in perspective according to the physical model.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The subject allows students to work on their technique of drawing by working on complex object compositions, following the knowledge of drawing single objects with the emphasis on the character of the whole from the view of space and material.
Elementary knowledge of the perspective drawing is assumed as well as the experience with the drawing of still-life composed of basic geometrical elements with the uniform surface in a perspective view using a model with all types of shadows.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
GRAY, Peter. Kresba a ilustrace: příručka pro výtvarníky : praktický a inspirativní průvodce pro všechny výtvarníky. Praha: Svojtka & Co., 2010. ISBN 9788073527549.
BALLESTAR, Vicente B. a Jordi VIGUÉ. Skici: kompletní průvodce skicováním. Čestlice: Rebo, 2005. ISBN 80-7234-431-5. (CS)
TEISSIG, Karel. Techniky kresby. Vyd. 2. Aventinum, 1995. ISBN 80-85277-49-2.
DE REYNA, Rudy. How to draw what you see. New York: Watson - Guptill, 1996. ISBN 0-8230-2375-3.
TEISSIG, Karel. Kresba. Praha: Aventinum, 2010. Výtvarné techniky (Aventinum). ISBN 978-80-7442-009-2.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Creative work in ateliers.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit requirements: Attendance at exercises, meeting assigned projects deadlines.
Resulting evaluation consists of evaluations on tasks (drawings). In total it will be possible to aquire 100 points. Resulting classification will be defined by the ECTS scale.
If some of the projects are awarded less than half of the maximum pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed".
According to the article No. 13 of Study and Examination Rules of Brno University of Technology ECTS evaluation degree scale is used. . If some of the projects are awarded less than 50 pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed". The course is evaluated with the following grades: ECTS EVALUATION DEGREES / PTS. RATING / NUMERIC RATING: A / 100 - 90 / 1 / Excellent; B /89 - 80 / 1,5 / Very good; C / 79 - 70 / 2 / Good; D / 69 - 60 / Satisfactory; E / 59 - 50 / Sufficient; F / 49 - 0 / 4 / Failed.
Language of instruction
The aim of the subject is detailed reflection of reality, focusing on the composition of objects, their mutual volumetric and proportional relationships. Emphasis is placed primarily on the right schematic drawing of the items, quality outlines and proportional relations of the items, followed by artistically sophisticated representation of materials, textures and core and cast shadows.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Compulsory attendance at seminars. Education runs according to the week schedule. The way of compensation of missed seminars is specified by the tutor.
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Principles for drawing a composition of multiple objects, elementary scheme, drawing of contour lines;
2. Drawing of glass objects;
3. Drawing of metal objects;
4. Drawing of plastic objects;
5. Drawing of natural objects;
6. Drawing of paper and fabrics;
7. Drawing of a composition of objects conforming to the basic geometric bodies; the same material and surface;
8. Drawing a composition of objects of the same character, material and surface;
9. Drawing a composition of objects of different character, of the same material and surface;
10. Drawing a composition of objects of different character, different material and surface;
11. Color drawing composition of objects of the same character, material and surface;
12. Color drawing composition of objects of different character, of the same material and surface;
13. Color drawing composition of objects of different character, different material and surface; evaluation of the semester / strengths and weaknesses of individual works /.
eLearning: currently opened course