3D Optical Digitization and Inspection of Machine Parts
FSI-ZRI-AAcad. year: 2019/2020
Students will be introduced to the theoretical part of the course with the basic principles and technologies of optical digitizing and their application in practice. They will be also familiar with digitization using optical system ATOS and TriTop functionality. In practical exercises, students will have the opportunity to experience 3D scanning of machine components and the subsequent adjustment of digital data. Within computer-aided exercises students will prepare semestral project focused on the application of gained knowledge in the field of digitization, editing polygonal data and reconstruction of surfaces.
The course has been upgraded with the support of the OPVK project. Project "The Studio of digital sculpture and new media", reg. No. CZ.1.07/2.2.00/28.0278, is co-financed by the European Social Fund and the statebudget of the Czech Republic.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to effectively apply the methods of optical digitizing in solving multidisciplinary problems during solution of semester projects, theses and later in practice during development of new products.
Knowledge in area of CAD systems (CATIA, Creo Parametric, Rhinoceros, Inventor) and finite element method (Ansys).
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit is awarded on the following conditions: elaboration of semester project, submitting data and the poster in digital form.
Examination: will be granted after successful completion of the test focused on gained theoretical knowledge.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to provide students with specific theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of 3D optical digitization and their appropriate use in technical practice.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is recommended; attendance at practicals and laboratory practicals is obligatory and checked by the lecturer. Compensation of missed lessons depends on the instructions of course supervisor.
Type of course unit
10 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. 3D scanners and their division
2. Applications of 3D scanning in mechanical engineering - inspection and GD&T
3. Applications of 3D scanning in mechanical engineering - reverse engineering and automation
4. Components of camera
5. Chip of the camera and optical defects
6. Calibration of photogrammetric systems
7. Fringe projection scanning
8. Computed tomography (CT) in mechanical engineering
9. Image processing in 3D digitization I.
10. Image processing in 3D digitization II.
16 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
• GUI, Importing of files, Polygonization
• Mesh editing
• Simple inspection
• Inspection sections
• Different Alignment methods
• Tolerances and RPS alignment
• 3-2-1 alignment and primitives
• Drawing based inspection for 2D sections
• Basics of image processing analysis
• Image processing
• Calibration of the camera, detection of the object, measurements in the image
• Binary and Gray coding in 3D scanning
• Semestral project elaboration
• Scanned data processing
• Photogrammetry data processing
• Design of the model by reverse engineering tools
labs and studios
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
3D optical system ATOS
• Familiarisation with the technology of the optical digitization with the ATOS system
• Preparation of the part for optical digitization
• Digitization of the mechanical part
Photogrammetry system TRITOP
• Familiarisation with the technology of the photogrammetry measurement.
• Preparation of the towing hitch for measurement.
• Measurement of the deformations with the use of tenzometers for monitoring of load forces.
• Evaluation of the project from measured data.
• Evaluation of the assigned semestral project - comparison of the photogrammetric deformation measurement with the computational simulation of deformations (FEM).
eLearning: currently opened course