FSI-RTEAcad. year: 2019/2020
Students are acquainted with applications of microcomputer technology in process measurement and control. They will be familiar with the functioning of ARM processors and some peripherals, as well as some algorithms used especially for control of electric drives. Exercise uses relatively easy-to-use development kits and software tools with which listeners work independently and program in C language.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Practical application of digital technology and single chip microcontrollers in the control of mechatronic processes, programming in C language, independent work with laboratory development system. Orientation in modern microprocessor systems and basics discrete control methods.
The basics of programming.
Basic knowledge of English.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
PM0214 Programming manual: STM32 Cortex®-M4 MCUs and MPUs programming manual. STMicroelectronics [online]. Geneva, Switzerland: STMicroelectronics, 1994- [cit. 2019-02-25]. Dostupné z: https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/programming_manual/6c/3a/cb/e7/e4/ea/44/9b/DM00046982.pdf/files/DM00046982.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00046982.pdf (EN)
BROWN, Geoffrey. Discovering the STM32 Microcontroller [online]. 1. Indiana University: Indiana University, 2016 [cit. 2019-03-07]. ISBN 0000. Dostupné z: https://www.cs.indiana.edu/~geobrown/book.pdf (EN)
RM0364 Reference manual: STM32F334xx advanced Arm®-based 32-bit MCUs. STMicroelectronics [online]. Geneva, Switzerland: STMicroelectronics, 1994- [cit. 2019-02-25]. Dostupné z: https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/reference_manual/71/30/2e/f3/20/5b/46/c1/DM00093941.pdf/files/DM00093941.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00093941.pdf (EN)
MACHO, Tomáš. Mikroprocesory [online]. Brno, 2017 [cit. 2019-03-12]. Elektronický učební text. FEKT VUT v Brně. (CS)
Klíma B., Stupka R.: Mikroprocesorová technika v elektrických pohonech. Studijní opora, Elektronický text, VUT Brno - FEKT, 2004
HEROUT, Pavel. Učebnice jazyka C. 4., přeprac. vyd. České Budějovice: Kopp, 2004. ISBN 80-7232-220-6. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The subject is taught in the form of lectures, which have the character of interpretation of basic principles and theory of given discipline. The course is complemented by laboratory exercises that are focused on a specific application.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
In the exercises during the semester, you can get a certain amount of points for activity and two individual tasks. A non-zero evaluation of both tasks is necessary for granting the credit. The final exam is written and may include a microcontroller program development.
Language of instruction
Acquisition of the theoretical and practical fundamentals of digital technology and microcomputers, introduction to management algorithms.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Mandatory participation in laboratory exercises (2 absences acceptable). Processing of tasks, possibility of replacement according to individual agreement with the teacher.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Organizational information. Representation of numbers, numerical systems and transfers between them, logical functions, Boolean algebra. Presentation of TrueStudio and CubeMX tools, information resources.
2. Fundamentals of C language: operators, variables, functions, pointers, header files, linker.
3. GPIO port. Timers: basic schema, function principle; input: pulse length measurement, pulse count, PWM input; output: pulse generation, PWM for pulse converters control.
4. ARM processor architecture: memory, bus, registers.
5. ARM processor architecture: program run and data processing, subroutines, exceptions.
6. Introduction to signal processing, MAC instruction. Discrete Integrator and 1st order filter, differential equation, transcription on algorithm.
7. AD converter: principle, speed vs. noise, reference voltage, practical use.
8. DA converter and DMA. Processing signals from position and speed sensors using a timer.
9. State machine, basic principle. Fixed vs. floating point arithmetic, execution of calculations on ARMs with and without FPU.
10. Discrete PID controller in component and closed form; derivation, calculation, anti-windup, practical realization.
11. Generation of functional dependencies: Taylor series, table. Practical use.
12. Synchronization of ADC with PWM modulator, reasons and necessity. Traffic delay of the control loop, design of the regulator.
13. Fundamentals of el. drives microcomputer control.
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction, safety rules, introduction to development tools.
2. Configuration of GPIO, LED light on button press.
3. Timers I: Generate periodic interrupts, switch debouncing using the timer.
4. Timers II: PWM output mode, complementary output, deadtime.
5. Project 1.
6. Integrator and 1st order digital filter, rectangular and triangle signal generation using an integrator. Real-time debugging possibilities.
7. AD converter: setting, reading, synchronizing with PWM.
8. Speed and position measurement using timer.
9. Direct memory access (DMA): DA and AD converters, timers.
10. Discrete PID controller: Component and recurent form.
11. Practical realization of functions.
12. Project 2.
13. Evaluation of the project, credit.
eLearning: currently opened course