Work Safety in Electrical Engineering
FSI-XB0Acad. year: 2019/2020
Subject Safety of Work in Electrotechnics allows getting knowledge of rules, instructions, stipulations and basic electrotechnical regulations and standards in the field of work safety in electro engineering and it will prepare the students for an exam of work safety in compliance with regulation ČÚBP and ČBÚ No. 50/1978 Coll. on professional competence in electro engineering. After successful passing of the exam, the graduates will be qualified as employees for independent activity.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
This subject will get students to independent work on electrotechnic arrangements in light of safeness before injury electric streaming and pertinent providing first aid at injuries electric streaming. Students also will learn recognize problem and risk situation associated with electric equipment.
The course is designed primarily for students of study programs in their curricula course is placed. It is also designed for students who have already obtained Electrotechnical education (for example, at secondary schools). Other parties interested in the subject, without exception, contact the guarantor, who will decide if the course matter is appropriate for them.
The subject requires knowledge of physics, electrical engineering and human anatomy. Necessary is knowledge about conducting electrical current and its effects on the human organism.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Vyhláška ČÚBP a ČBÚ č.50/1978 Sb.
Donald S.Bloswick. An Introduction to Electrical Safety for Engineers, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Ohio 1993, NIOSH order No. 89-39341.
FOWLER, T., Electrical Safety: Safety and Health for Electrical Trades – Student Manual (rev. Ed. ), ISBN 9781437920277, (2010), DIANE Publishing
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit conditions: completion of at least 75% exercise. In the case of lower participation enters vučující as compensation for drafting written work.
Exam: The exam checks knowledge of basic information needed for performing independent activities on electrotechnical devices and it is required from graduates in practice. The exam is combined, with written and oral part, in the presence of a commission. The assessment is: passed or failed. Based on the knowledge proved during the examination, the student is appreciated mark.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to prepare the students for exam as per regulation ČÚBP and ČBÚ No. 50/1978 Coll. and so – after successful passing of the exam – to get electrotechnical qualification of employees authorised to work independently in electrotechnics, as needed for independnt work with electrotechnical equipment in practical activities of the graduate.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The lessons are not obligatory. Missed lessons are not compensated, missed topics are completed on the basis of independent studies.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme M2I-P Master's
- Programme M2A-P Master's
branch M-MET , 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme M2I-P Master's
branch M-VSR , 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, elective (voluntary)
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Czech and European legislation, technical standards, electrical qualification.
2. Effects of electricity on the human organism, protection against electric shock.
3. Electrical device, electrical network, connection of electrical device, marking of terminals and wires, electric hand tools.
4. Classification of external influences, space in light of accident with electric shock, covering of electrical device (IP code).
5. Fire safety of electrical installations and electrical device.
6. Safe product, safe installation, safe operation, inspection and revisions.
7. The establishment and operation of electrical test equipment.
8. Protection of electrical and electronic equipment against lightning and overvoltage.
9. Implementation of protection against electric trauma.
10. Safety rules for handling and working on electrical device.
11. Protective and work tools.
12. Electrical equipment of machines.
13. Identification, assessment and risk prevention in the operation of electrical equipment.
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction and orientation in the technical standards
2. First aid, instruction
3. Electrical installation, electric power distribution in residential and civil housing construction
4. Electrical installations in industrial distribution
5. Progress at fire extinguishing electric device
6. Indirect effects of electric current
7. Electrical Test Equipment
8. A device for protection against lightning and overvoltage
9. Residual-current device (RCD)
10. Electrical Installation
11. Circuit breakers and protection
12. Electrical equipment of machines
13. Examination of safety according to Decree no. 50/1978Sb. - Information about the course conditions, model examples of issues and their solutions
eLearning: currently opened course