Testing of Vehicles
ÚSI-EDZKVAcad. year: 2019/2020
Subject is aimed at the problems of diagnostics and motor vehicle testing with usage of modern methods.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course students should gain knowledge of vehicle diagnostics and testing focused on practical activities related to operation, maintenance and repair of vehicles in the context of relevant legal regulations. Student is able to interpret aspects of testing and diagnostics of motor vehicles in relation to functions or dysfunctions of motor vehicles within the framework of repair and operation of motor vehicles. Students will extend their knowledge gained in the field of vehicle design and acquire prerequisites for assessment of tests and diagnostic operations in the operation of motor vehicles.
Knowledge of motor vehicle construction required
- compulsory prerequisite
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VÉMOLA, A.: Diagnostika automobilů I, II, Littera, Brno 2006, ISBN 80-85763-31-1 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching is carried out through lectures and seminars. Lectures consist of interpretations of basic principles, methodology of given discipline, problems and their exemplary solutions. Seminars particularly support practical mastery of subject matter presented in lectures or assigned for individual study with the active participation of students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
To achieve credit it is conditional to take part in the seminars, successfully accomplish control tests and successfully elaborate semestral work. The exam will have written and oral part. To be admitted to oral part, students have to complete the written part first.
Language of instruction
1. Basics of technical diagnostics and testing, basic concepts and definitions, principles, nomenclature, regulations and standards for motor vehicles. Diagnostic systems.
2. Types and conditions of testing, measurement and data evaluation. Measuring instruments.
3. Basic equipment of specialized workplaces, inspection and evaluation of the technical condition of the vehicle on SME and MOT, application of diagnostics in operation and maintenance of vehicles.
4. Approval of technical capability of vehicles, homologation tests, impact.
5. Mass parameters and performance characteristics of vehicles, economy.
6. Diagnostics of undercarriage parts of vehicles - control of steering mechanism, steering and suspension geometry, balancing of vehicle wheels.
7. Testing of vehicle brakes, regulations, types of test rooms. Braking test of vehicle with decelerometer - methodology, evaluation.
8. Diagnostics and testing of vehicle suspension - springs, shock absorbers.
9. General principles of engine diagnostics, diagnostics of petrol engines.
10. Diesel engine diagnostics, European on-board diagnostics (EOBD).
11. Testing of gears. Tribotechnical diagnostics.
12. Vehicle durability tests, active and passive safety. Inspection and defects of painted vehicle surfaces.
13. Problems of vehicle controllability testing, tests of directional stability of vehicles.
The aim of the course is to prepare experts in management positions at various levels for decision-making activities in the field of automotive technology, especially for its operation, maintenance, diagnostics and repairs, to which testing and diagnostics of vehicles are directly related.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in seminars.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EID_P Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory