Analysis of Road Accidents I
ÚSI-EDAN1Acad. year: 2019/2020
The subject acquaints students with the basics of vehicle movement mechanics, with system concept of the road accident analysis and it teaches them applying this knowledge to particular situations.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course students should be able to include technical analysis of road accidents within other disciplines, identify basic quantities and units, nomenclature, types of tracks and their documentation and identification.
They can practically use and apply relevant documents for technical analysis - the shape of the accident site, vehicle characteristics, driver characteristics, respectively. Pedestrians - they will be able to choose a suitable method of their securing, plan and perform their own measurements and process the acquired data, analyze them and then apply them when analyzing their own accident situation.
They will also interpret basic relationships, motion laws, essential human parameters and their role in traffic accidents, vehicle parameters, forces, tires and their models, environmental parameters, vehicle dynamic parameters, damage analysis and damage correspondence and will be able to apply this knowledge to motion calculation vehicle, its interpretation in the form of track - time, track - speed, interval diagram, etc.
They will be able to apply the acquired competences to the solution of real accidents with pedestrians and cyclists and consequently solve the possibilities of averting a collision with regard to the psychological and physiological possibilities of the participants.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
SEMELA, M. Analýza silničních nehod I. Brno. 2012. (83 p.). (CS)
BRADÁČ a kol. Soudní inženýrství. AKADEMICKÉ NAKLADATELSTVÍ CERM, s.r.o., Brno 1997 ISBN 80-7204-057-X (CS)
BRADÁČ A., GLIER L., KREJČÍŘ P., PEŘINA J. Znalecký standard č. II, III, IV, V. MSp Praha, ÚSI VUT v Brně, 1990 - 1992, Aktualizace 2002 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching is carried out through lectures and seminars. Lectures consist of interpretations of basic principles, methodology of given discipline, problems and their exemplary solutions. Seminars particularly support practical mastery of subject
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit conditions - obtaining at least 150 points out of 200 possible (2 × 50 continuous test in about the 5th and 9th week of the semester, 100 per semester project).
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to road accident analysis, primary quantities and units
2. Basic relations, Laws of Motion, forces affecting the vehicles, ride in curve, safe distance
3. Types of tire tracks, collecting the data at the site of accident and measuring technology
4. Movement of splinters, movement of vehicle through the air, transverse transfer and overtaking
5. Element “person” – biometrical data, driver’s reaction time, movement parameters, sensory perception, alertness
6. Element “vehicle”
7. Element “surroundings” – shapes and parameters of the communication, accident site inspection, expert and investigative experiment
8. Braking, start, brakes delay, acceleration
9. Correspondence of the damage analysis, run-out
10. Diagrams for road accident analysis – graph trajectory – time, other used diagrams, area of blocked view
11. Interval diagrams, sequences and averting the accident
12. Road accident with pedestrians
13. Road accident with bicyclists
Goal of this subject is to obtain theoretical basis of the road accident analysis and to learn to apply these theoretical findings in practice. Going through this course is a condition for studying Road accident analysis II.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance is checked in attendance sheet.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EID_P Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
eLearning: currently opened course