Introduction to Bachelor Thesis - CHT
FCH-BC_UBP_CHTAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course aims to introduce students to aspects of academic writing with regard to the specifics of writing theses. Attention is paid to the general principles of the writing of individual parts (Abstract, Introduction, Theoretical part and Experimental part, Results and Discussion, Conclusion) and to the specific methods of submitting the final work at the Faculty of Chemistry, Brno University of Technology. The course also discusses the principles of processing and presenting experimental data that are used in chemical engineering practice, and notes the frequent transgressions observed in graduate work. Part of the course is also focused on the typographic principles that are regulated by the relevant standard and the work with information sources.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
After completing the course students will understand the basic rules and procedures for processing scientific texts, work with databases and the use of citations. Furthermore, they will be able to choose a relevant method for collecting, analyzing and presenting experimental data.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Francírek F. Bakalářská práce : bakalářská práce. Co, jak a proč připravit, zpracovat, napsat a zhodnotit. Praha, Ingenio et Arti, 2012 (CS)
Kapounová J., Kapoun P. Bakalářská a diplomová práce: od zadání po obhajobu. Praha, Grada, 2017 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of seminars - 2 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to the thesis: instructions and guidelines for the preparation of the thesis and the final exam, structure of scientific text and its components,
2. Rules for processing theses at FCH BUT, standards and rules for processing of the technical work, typographic rules, rules for preparation of charts, tables, images, attachments, appendices etc.,
3. Information resources and databases, rules for citations, laws and ethics,
4. Experimental data processing: Tools, Options, and methods of data processing, data collection, data processing, display and basic data analysis, expression variability, measures of location, diameter grouped data, weighted average, correlation, linear regression, uncertainty of direct measurement, indirect measurement uncertainty, combined and expanded uncertainty, etc.
5. Analysis of student’s theses.
6. Analysis of students’ theses.
7. – 12. Work on a semester project.
13. Presentations of the semester projects.
The aim of the course is to to introduce students with selected aspects of writing scientific texts and processing and presentation of data used in chemical engineering practice.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
2 hours of seminars per week and semestral project
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BKCP_CHCHT Bachelor's
branch BKCO_SCH , 3. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPCP_CHCHT Bachelor's
branch BPCO_SCH , 3. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPCP_CHCHTE Bachelor's, 3. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme BKCP_CHCHTE Bachelor's, 3. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory