FCH-BC_SAPAcad. year: 2019/2020
This course is focused on the problematic of sensory evaluation, Students will be informed about theoretical principles of human perception, as well as about function of single human sensory organs. The second part include practical performance of sensory evaluation including the possibilities of application in food practice.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will acquire the basic knowledge of modern scientific branch - sensory analysis, they will be able to prepare and make simple evaluation of various types of food.
Food technology – the brief base of particular food technologies.
This course is focused on students, who don’t continue in master’s study programme.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Pokorný J., Valentová H., Panovská Z. Senzorická analýza potravin. Skripta. VŠCHT Praha, 1998. (CS)
Pokorný, J. Metody senzorické analýzy potravin a stanovení senz. jakosti. ÚZPI Praha, 1997. (CS)
Lawless, H.T., Heymann, H. Sensory evaluation of food: principles and practices. New York: Chapman & Hall, 1998. 848 pp. ISBN 0-8342-1752-X. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Individual study. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions for awarding the graded course-unit credit:
a) written part - 10 questions focused on all areas of sensory analysis
b) oral part - possible supplementary questions
Language of instruction
1. The term "sensory analysis", history
2. Human senses - perception process
3. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - vision
4. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - hearing
5. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - smell
6. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - taste
7. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - touch
8. Requirements for sensory evaluation - human assessors, equipment of sensory laboratory, preparation and submitting of samples
9. The overview of sensory methods
10. Sensory quality of foods
The objective of the course is to make students familiar with problematic of sensory analysis with focus on sensory evaluation of food.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Regular consulting meetings.