FCH-BC_SAPAcad. year: 2019/2020
This course is focused on the problematic of sensory evaluation, also evaluation using human senses. At first students will be informed about theoretical principles of physiology and psychology of perception and about function of single human sensory organs. At the second part the practical performance of sensory evaluation will be discussed in detail: requirements for assessors, process of evaluation, suitable conditions for evaluation, suitable methods etc. Finally the possibilities of application of sensory evaluation in food practice are briefly noticed.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will acquire the basic knowledge of modern scientific branch - sensory analysis, they will be able to prepare and make simple evaluation of food or cosmetics samples.
Food technology - characteristics of food industry, brief base of particular food manufactures.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Pokorný J., Valentová H., Panovská Z. Senzorická analýza potravin. Skripta. VŠCHT Praha, 1998. (CS)
Pokorný, J. Metody senzorické analýzy potravin a stanovení senz. jakosti. ÚZPI Praha, 1997. (CS)
Lawless, H.T., Heymann, H. Sensory evaluation of food: principles and practices. New York: Chapman & Hall, 1998. 848 pp. ISBN 0-8342-1752-X. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lectures with support of e-learning.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions for awarding the graded course-unit credit:
a) written part - 10 questions focused on all areas of sensory analysis, ability of practical applications
b) oral part - possible supplementary questions
Language of instruction
1. The term "sensory analysis", history
2. Human senses - perception process
3. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - vision
4. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - hearing
5. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - smell
6. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - taste
7. Anatomy of single human sensory organs - touch
8. Requirements for sensory evaluation - human assessors
9. Requirements for sensory evaluation - equipment of sensory laboratory, preparation and submitting of samples
10. The overview of sensory methods – discrimination methods
11. The overview of sensory methods – descriptive methods
12. Sensory quality of foods
13. Process of sample evaluation
The objective of the course is to make students familiar with complex problematic of sensory analysis with main focus on sensory evaluation of food.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is not compulsory, but is recommended.