Ecology in Manufacturing
FEKT-LEKVAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course is focus on the ecology of production, negative impact of production on environment, cleaner production and forms of its application in practice, recycling products of electrotechnical production, waste water at the surface treatment of metals, used transformer and condenser kinds of oil, toxic waste materials, waste at production of fluorescent lamps, discharge lamps and cathode-ray tubes, waste materials at production of plastic, electrochemical sources of electric energy.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student Ecology in Manufacturing (LEKV) is able to:
- understand the problems of waste, distribution, disposal and he knows the possible ways of recycling.
- define the chemical toxic inorganic and organic.
- understand the issue of cleaner production and its application in practice. He knows the meaning of the concepts of environmentally friendly products, environmental management.
- define (based on current knowledge) the main mechanisms involved in the global warming can describe the principle greenhouse effect.
- define different world views on the environment with a focus on European legislation, the U.S. legislation and legislation in developing countries. Can understand the concept of public policy and legislation in the field of Environment.
- define a strategy for sustainability. He knows the historical development and current status of applicable legislation.
- dentify the mechanisms of metal corrosion and define the important parameters of corrosion.
- define the mechanisms of sorption and wetting phenomena, the effects of moisture on the dielectric properties of materials.
- define infrasound and ultrasound, knows the health aspects of noise and knows the principles of reduction and protection against excessive noise.
- explain the basic symptoms of electrostatic, magnetic and electromagnetic fields and their effect on biological systems.
- define the basic distribution of heat sources, their properties and effects on living organisms. He knows the principles of heat transfer in different environments.
- define the basic distribution of light sources. They can explain the physiology of vision, color perception and color define well-being.
- define the life cycle of the product and describe the fault model of the product. He is able to characterize faults and define the probability of failure.
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
US Environmet Protection Agency:Profile of the Electronic and Computer Industry,EPA/310-R-95-002, 1995 (EN)
CBI Rotterdam:Environmental Quick Scan Electronic Components,The Netherlands 1997 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Homework task - max 20p
Presented semestral task max 40p
Final exam - max 40p
Requirements for successful completion of the subject can be specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
Ecology of production, negative impact of production on environment.
Cleaner production and forms of its application at production processes.
Ecologically friendly technologies of electrotechnical products operation.
Recycling products of electrotechnical production.
Treatment of waste water at surface treatment of metals.
Treatment of used transformer and condenser kinds of oil.
Toxic materials at production and recycling of electrotechnical products.
Waste materials at production and recycling of plastic
Waste at production of fluorescent lamps, discharge lamps and cathode-ray tubes and their recycling.
Ecological processes at production of electrochemical sources.
Environmentally friendly technologies at operation of electrochemical sources.
Environmentally friendly technologies of recycling electrochemical sources.
The aim of the course is to apply the ecological knowledge and procedures at production, operation and recycling of electrotechnical products. Within the frame of the knowledge of cleaner production it concerns minimizing the negative influence of production on environment. During recycling of products it concerns ensuring the minimum influence of technology on environment and effort to ensure the maximum share of recycled components at their secondary use.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
9 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
The other activities
4 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course