Fundamentals of TV Technology
FEKT-CZTVAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course is aimed at the television technology. Content of the course is segmented into following parts: basic properties of light, basic principles of TV tranmission, picture scanning, TV screens, colour TV systems, TV transmission of sound signals, transmission of additional information - teletext, TV sets, digitizing of picture signals, DVB standard, source coding (JPEG, MPEG1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC), channel coding (RS code, convolutional coding, interleaving), used digital modulations (QPSK, QAM, OFDM), DVB TV sets, HDTV, TV satellite transmission, 3D TV technology.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able:
- describe the basic principles of TV transmission (terrestrial, cable, satellite),
- explain the picture signal processing,
- describe the used method of source coding JPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC standards,
- describe the used channel coding and modulation (QPSK, QAM, OFDM),
- explain principles of High Definition Television HDTV,
- explain principles of Three Dimenzional Television 3D TV.
Basic knowledge of digital signal processing, expression of signals in time and frequency domains, fundamentals of electromagnetic fields and fundamentals of linear and nonlinear circuits is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures, computer laboratories and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The point evaluation is realized according to recommendation of the BSP FEEC BTU (max. 100 points)
Each laboratory practice - max. 3 points.
Total number of 10 laboratory practices - max. 30 points.
3 questions from rewiev of information - each question max. 20 points - total number max. 60 points,
2 partial questions - each question max. 5 points - total number max. 10 points.
Language of instruction
1. Basic information about light
2. Basic principles of TV transmission
3. Picture scanning, Television screens
4. TV information systems - Teletext
5. DVB standard, source coding of picture signals JPEG, MPEG-1
6. Source coding of picture signals MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC
7. Source coding of sound signals MPEG-1, MPEG-2
8. Multiplexing and channel coding, digital modulations QPSK, QAM, OFDM
9. DVB-T and DVB-T2 standards
10. DVB television sets
11. High definition television HDTV and DVB-H standards
12. Satellite TV transmission, DVB-S and DVB-S2 standards
13. 3D television, news in TV technology
The aim of the course is to present the basic principles of television technology, digital signal processing for TV transmission (terrestrial, cable and satellite), high definition television HDTV and advanced three dimensional TV technology 3D.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.