PCs in Intrumentation
FEKT-CPMTAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course deals with programming measuring systems and equipment, focusing on virtual instrumentation. Students will recognize the different means used by software producers with emphasis on software from National Instruments (LabVIEW). At the user level, learn to use hardware devices for measurement. Attention is also paid to non-PC systems, and systems based on real-time OS. During the exercise, students can obtain (after performing special tests) an internationally recognized certification for LabVIEW CLAD.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to select suitable software system for creating sw measuring instrument or measuring system, select the appropriate hardware and system implementation. It is capable of programming in LabVIEW on a basic level. He knows this development environment and can be configured. It can also work with auxiliary programs (MAX).
Knowledge is required at 2r Bc study. It requires a positive approach to measuring technique (obtaining at least 70 points from test subjects BMVE and BMFV), the ability to separate the preparation of interactive learning materials available. Ability to work with learning materials in English.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS.LabVIEW Core1-2 Course Manual. National Instruments (EN)
Firemní literatura National Instruments (EN)
Firemní literatura AGILENT. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and computer laboratories.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Up to 40 points - computer exercises, which consists of two written tests after 15 points and a separate task with the evaluation of up to 10 points
Up to 60 points - written exam
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, used software division course, Introduction to LabVIEW
2. Peripherals and ways of obtaining data about the target object (measuring card, RS ..., GPIB, VXI)
3. Basic concepts and navigation in LabVIEW
4. Troubleshooting and Debug in LabVIEW
5. Implementing VI in LabVIEW control structures
6. Relating Data in LabVIEW (arrays, Clusters, Type Definitions)
7. Managing Resources in LabVIEW (File IO, data collection NIDAQ, Instrument Drivers)
8. Developing Modular Applications in LabVIEW
9. Common Design Techniques and patterns in LabVIEW
10. Using Variables in LabVIEW
11. LabVIEW add-ons, examples of applications
12. LabVIEW-RT FPGA module, distributed applications
The goal is to provide orientation in software systems for creating measurement applications, the basic orientation of the measuring peripherals for PC and learn to work with LabVIEW.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Mandatory participation in seminars, in case of absence can be added to a separate study of interactive learning materials. Tolerated with 2 outs.