FEKT-MNANAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course focuses on modern aspects of Nanotechnology - its prinicples and applications. The stress is put on the understanding of fundamental nanostructures and various interaction in the near-field (force, optical, electric, magnetic, thermal,and others). Application of nanotechnology: Chemical and material synthesis. Design and fabrication of nanostructures (force, optical, electric, magnetic, thermal,and others). Second part of topic is oriented to computer nanotechnology, detection and localization of nanostructures. Students actively prepare and present topics related to aplication potential of nanotechnology (nanoelectronics, metamaterials, nanophotonics) in modern world.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to:
- define and explain novel physical (electric, optical, magnetic) phenomena on nanoscale
- describe selected nanostructures - fullerens, nanotubes, nanocmposites
- choose the right microscopic and spectroscopic technique
- simulate the interaction in the case of STM, AFM, SNOM
- detect and localize nanostructures
- discuss the advantages and disadvantages of nanomaterials
on the basis of define considerations to prepare a presentation of choosen topic
- actively present and define own presentation (in the framework of other activities part)
- prepare and present a poster on chosen topic.
Primarily the Bachelor´s degree level knowledge is requested. Student could be able to explain fundamental physical and electric principles of microworld. The ability to use Matlab is welcome.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Ch.P.Poole, Jr., F.J. Owens: Introduction to Nanotechnology, Wiley Interscience, 2003 ISBN:0-471-07935-9
E.L. Wolf,: Nanophysics and nanotechnology, 3rd Edition, Wiley-VCH, ISBN-13: 978-3527413249
Nanotechnologie - elektronický text v e-learningu
W.C. Sanders; Basic Principles of Nanotechnology, CRC Press, ASIN: B07FF7FY7Z
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Teachimg methods contain:
1. Project provided by 3 students - critical review of scientific paper ot new topic of the field.
2. Presentation of project in the class.
3. Preparation of poster on field topic.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
0-15 points laboratory exercises
0-15 points computer exercises
0-10 points poster
0-20 points project
0-40 point final exam
Language of instruction
2. Quantum mechanics introduction
3. Solid state physics
4. Microscopy techniques 1
5. Carbon and nanotechnology
7. Microscopy techniques 2
9. MEMS, NEMS
12. Molecular electronics
13. Nanotechnology applications
The course has two goals: to give an overview of the current development in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, and to give to students an introduction to applications in Quantum mechanics, Condensed matter physics, Statistical physics and Computer physics.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year. Laboratory and computer exercises as well as other activities are compulsory.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
branch M1-TIT , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, theoretical subject
branch M1-KAM , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, theoretical subject
branch M1-EVM , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, theoretical subject
branch M1-MEL , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, theoretical subject
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, theoretical subject
Type of course unit
Exercise in computer lab
6 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
7 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
The other activities
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course