Television Technology and Multimedia
FEKT-BPC-TVTAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course is aimed at the television technology. Content of the course is segmented into following parts: basic properties of light, basic principles of TV tranmission, picture scanning, TV screens, colour TV systems, TV transmission of sound signals, transmission of additional information - teletext, TV sets, digitizing of picture signals, DVB standard, source coding (JPEG, MPEG1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC), channel coding (RS code, convolutional coding, interleaving), used digital modulations (QPSK, QAM, OFDM), DVB TV sets, HDTV, TV satellite transmission, 3D TV technology.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able:
- describe the basic principles of TV transmission (terrestrial, cable, satellite),
- explain the picture signal processing,
- describe the used method of source coding JPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC standards,
- describe the used channel coding and modulation (QPSK, QAM, OFDM),
- explain principles of High Definition Television HDTV,
- explain principles of Three Dimenzional Television 3D TV.
Basic knowledge of digital signal processing, expression of signals in time and frequency domains, fundamentals of electromagnetic fields and fundamentals of linear and nonlinear circuits is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
LEGÍŇ, M. Televizní technika DVB-T. BEN – technická literatura, Praha, 2006. ISBN 978-8073002046. (CS)
FISCHER, W. Digital Video and Audio Broadcasting Technology. A practical Engineering Guide (Third Edition). Springer, 2010. ISBN 978-3642116117. (EN)
REIMERS, U. DVB. The Family of International Standards for Digital Video Broadcasting (Second Edition). Springer, 2005. ISBN 978-3540435457. (EN)
HANUS, S. Základy televizní techniky I-III. Skripta FEKT VUT v Brně. Brno: MJ Servis, 2009. ISBN 978-80-214-3971-9, 978-80-214-4206-1, 978-80-214-4022-7. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
During the semester, students can obtain up to 30 points for their active work in laboratory. The final exam is awarded by up to 70 points.
Language of instruction
1. Basic information about light
2. Basic principles of TV transmission
3. Picture scanning, Television screens
4. TV information systems - Teletext
5. DVB standard, source coding of picture signals JPEG, MPEG-1
6. Source coding of picture signals MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC
7. Source coding of sound signals MPEG-1, MPEG-2
8. Multiplexing and channel coding, digital modulations QPSK, QAM, OFDM
9. DVB-T and DVB-T2 standards
10. DVB television sets
11. High definition television HDTV and DVB-H standards
12. Satellite TV transmission, DVB-S and DVB-S2 standards
13. 3D television, news in TV technology
The aim of the course is to present the basic principles of television technology, digital signal processing for TV transmission (terrestrial, cable and satellite), high definition television HDTV and advanced three dimensional TV technology 3D.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course annually.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AMT Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-IBE Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-SEE Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, 3. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, 3. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, 3. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional