Reliability in Electrical Engineering
FEKT-BPC-SPEAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course deals with the issue of reliability of components and systems and their backups. Students will learn to use statistics in reliability, with calculations of reliability. It will get acquainted with the issue of international standardization and implementation of the quality system to ISO 9000. Another part of the course is devoted to the kinetics of processes of aging and degradation of materials, interaction between the conditions of exploitation and electrotechnical equipment, diagnostics of materials, elements and systems.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to:
- define the basic concepts of reliability,
- explain ways to backup systems,
- describe the stress involved in the operation of electrical equipment and subsequent aging electrical systems,
- explain the methods of reliability,
- calculate selected indicators of system reliability,
- can interpret basic reliability models.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Bednařík,J. a kol.:Technika spolehlivosti v elektronické praxi (CS)
Hauschild-Mosch:Statistik fur Elektrotechniker, Berlin (DE)
Polsterová, H. Spolehlivost v elektrotechnice. Elektronická skripta. (CS)
Montgomery, D. C.. Introducion to Statistical Quality Control. John Wiley, New York, 1996 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures, computer laboratories and practical
laboratories. Students have to write a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
upto 20 points from seminars (student will receive these points by the individual work in the field of reliability and its presentation).
upto 80 pointsfrom written examination.
The test focuses into the issues of reliability discussed in lectures and seminars.
Language of instruction
1. Introdiction to the problems.Basics concepts.
2. Reliability of elements and systems.Classification of systems.Classification of failures according to their reasons of origin, time course and stage of the failure.
3. Bases of statistics.Distribution of random variable and their use in reliability.
4. Reliability of expendable.Probability of trouble-free operation.Probability of failures.Density of failures, intensity of failures.Mean time of trouble-free operation.Relations between characteristics of reliability.
5. Reliability of systems.Creating reserves.Active and passive creating reserves.
6. Standardization.Statistics at checking of quality of production processes.International standardization.
7. Introduction of ISO 9000 quality system.
8. Defects in initial materials and their influence on final properties of elements.Defects iniciated by production technology.
9. Mechanisms and kinetics of processes of ageing and depreciation.Interaction between the conditions of exploitation and electrotechnical equipment. Complex,partial and model stresses and their relation to depreciation.
10. Temperature ageing. Effect of humidity.Ageing by electric field.Mechanical depreciation.Effect of chemically agresive environment.
11. Corrosive depreciation.Kinetics of degradation processes at affecting degradation factors.
12. Diagnostics of materials,elements and systems.Destructive,potentially destructive and non-destructive methods.
13. Structural methods.Electrical methods.Other physical methods.
The aim of the subject is to make students familiar with the problems of reliability of electrotechnical products and with the bases of creating reserves.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
Exercise in computer lab
20 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
6 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course