FEKT-BKC-KOMAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course is focused on these topics: networks and protocols – communication models, methods of information transmission, reasons for the use of networks, basic structure of networks, types of networks, architecture of communication systems, ISO/OSI reference model, TCP/IP network model. Principles of communication techniques – multiple utilization of transmission channels, duplex communication. Analysis of tasks of every layer of communication models with respect to ISO/OSI and TCP/IP – physical layer, data-link layer, network layer, transport layer, session layer, presentation layer, and application layer.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students who will complete this course will be able to:
- describe and explain the basic communication models and methods of information transmission,
- list the basic network structures and express their performance parameters,
- describe and explain the general architecture of communication systems,
- identify the differences between ISO/OSI and TCP/IP network models, define these models,
- describe the basic principles of multiple utilization of transmission channels and methods for providing two-way communication,
- explain the operation of the physical layer of transmission systems,
- explain the task of the data-link layer of transmission systems,
- express the fundamentals of operation and services of the network layer of transmission systems, including the role of main protocols,
- interpret the function of the transport layer of transmission systems,
- explain the role of the session and presentation layers of transmission systems,
- describe selected tasks and protocols of the application layer of transmission systems.
Students who are going to attend this course should be able to: - use several numerical systems and conversions among them, - explain and use elementary units common in the area of information and communication technologies (ICT), e.g. data size, - use elementary terms from the ICT area, e.g. operating system.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
JEŘÁBEK, Jan. Komunikační technologie. verze 2017. Brno: Vysoké učení technické v Brně, 2014. ISBN 978-80-214-4713-4. (CS)
PETERSON, Larry L. Computer networks :a systems approach. 5th ed. Burlington: Morgan Kaufmann, 2011. ISBN 978-0-12-385059-1. (EN)
FOROUZAN, Behrouz A. TCP/IP protocol suite. 4th ed. Boston :McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2010. ISBN 978-0-07-337604-2. (EN)
SATRAPA, Pavel. IPv6: Internet Protocol verze 6, 3rd ed. Praha: Neocortex. 2011. ISBN 978-80-904248-4-5. (CS)
HOŠEK, Jiří a Jan JEŘÁBEK. Komunikační technologie - laboratorní cvičení. Brno: VUT v Brně, 2013. ISBN 978-80-214-4722-6. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to prepare and defend a single project/assignment before the end of the semester.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Up to 30 points can be awarded for work in laboratory exercises (points are obtained for individual tasks, test and individual project).
Up to 70 points can be earned for the written examination.
Language of instruction
1. Communication models, transmission of information
2. Structure of networks, architecture of communication
3. Basic description of ISO/OSI and TCP/IP network models
4. Multiple utilization of transmission channels
5. Physical layer of communication systems
6. Data-link layer of communication systems
7. Network layer of communication systems (services, task of the layer, addresses, routing)
8. Network layer of communication systems (datagrams, tunnelling, translation, flow control, IPv6)
9. Transport layer of communication systems
10. Session layer of communication systems
11. Presentation layer of communication systems
12. Application layer of communication systems (domain name system, telnet)
13. Application layer of communication systems (web and email system)
The goal of the course is to provide students with some orientation within the fundamental types and structures of communication networks designated for transmission of voice, data and pictures and within the technologies of information transmission that are used in them.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at laboratory exercises is compulsory, properly justified absence can be made up after after prior arrangement with the instructor.
Classification of course in study plans