Electronic Devices - Practice
FEKT-BPC-ESOPAcad. year: 2019/2020
PN junction. Semiconductor diode. Bipolar Junction Transistor. Unipolar Transistors. Switching devices, Thyristor.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Based on the verification of laboratory work after completing the course the student is able to:
Understand and measure the formation of built-in-voltage in the junction and its influence on PN junction behavior.
Define and measure the barrier and diffusion capacitance of the PN junction.
Explain and measure the operation of PN junction in following circuits: Rectifier, voltage stabilizer, capacitance diode, photo-diode, light emitting diode (LED) and current controlled differential resistance.
Explain the operation of the structure of the bipolar transistor and measure its behavior in typical circuit connections.
Design and measure analyze class-A-amplifier and switch with bipolar transistor.
Explain the operation of unipolar transistors JFET and IGFET and measure its behavior in typical circuit connections.
Design and measure class-A-amplifier and switch with unipolar transistors JFET and IGFET.
Explain the operation of the structure of a thyristor and measure its behavior in typical circuit connections.
Define the principle of phase-angle control of power switching devices and verify it on simple control circuit.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Singh J. : Semiconductor Devices ,McGraw-Hill
Boylestad R., Nashelsky L. :Electronic devices and Circuit Theory ,Prentice Hall
MUSIL V., BRZOBOHATÝ J., BOUŠEK J, PRCHALOVÁ I.: " Elektronické součástky", PC dir, BRNO, 1999
Boušek J., Kosina P., Mojrova B.: Elektronické součástky, FEKT VUT V BRNĚ, elektronické skriptum
Boušek J., Kosina P., Mojrova B.: Elektronické součástky sbírka příkladů, FEKT VUT V BRNĚ, elektronické skriptum
Boušek J., Kosina P.: Elektronické součástky BESO, laboratorní cvičení, FEKT VUT V BRNĚ, elektronické skriptum
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Supervised laboratory classes. Course uses e-learning (Moodle)
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The maximum number of points obtained for active participation in laboratory classes: 100.
Minimum points for credit: 70.
Language of instruction
1. Devices in the laboratory. Measurement of properties of RC derivation circuit and RC integration circuit.
2. Semiconductor diode. Current-voltage characteristics of diodes in linear and logarithmic scale in dependence on semiconductor material. Diode as a rectifier. Dynamic properties of the diode rectifier.
3. Semiconductor diode in forward direction. Current-driven differential resistance. Diode as a switch. Suppression of barrier capacity effect on diode switch function. Diode voltage multiplier.
4. PN Junction in reverse direction. Diode as reference voltage source. Barrier capacitance of the junction and its dependence on reverse-voltage. Photodiode. The operation of bipolar junction transistor.
5. Bipolar junction transistor. Current-voltage characteristics of the transistor in common-emitter (SE) configuration. Class A amplifier. Dependence of voltage gain on power supply voltage and collector current.
6. Bipolar junction transistor. Bipolar transistor as amplifier in SE, SB and SC configurations. / Control measurements.
7. Bipolar transistor. Transistor as a switch in normal mode and in reverse mode. Estimation of saturation delay. Suppression of saturation delay by desaturation diode. Saturation and active mode of photo-transistor in optron.
8. Unipolar transistors. JFET as a current source and voltage amplifier. JFET as a switch and voltage controlled resistance. Current-voltage characteristics.
9. Unipolar transistors. MOSFET as an amplifier and controlled resistor. Current-voltage characteristics.
10. Unipolar transistors. MOSFET as a switch. Dynamic behavior of the MOSFET switch. MOSFET switch with inductive load.
11.Thyristor. Current-voltage characteristics of the thyristor. Switching characteristic of thyristor. Estimation of the holding current.
Familiarize students with the electronic devices and their use.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Classroom participation according to time-schedule, achieving given score limit.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer