Distributed Application Environment (in English)
FIT-PDIeAcad. year: 2019/2020
Common characteristics of distributed environments. Types of distributed environments. Design and model of distributed applications. Distributed operating and file systems. Distributed database systems. Technology JSP, J2EE, JavaBeans, EJB, RPC, XML-RPC, SOAP, IIOP. Web services. Technology CORBA, COM, DCOM. Use of XML in distributed environments. Security in distributed applications.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The stundent will acquaint yourself with concepts and principles of distributed environments, with design and implementation of applications for distributed environments and security aspects in distributed environments.
Knowledge of programming the network applications in common programming languages like C/C++ or Java. Knowledge of Unix architecture and ability to create programs for Unix operating systems.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Tanenbaum, A.: Modern Operating Systems. Prentice Hall, 2001, ISBN: 0130313580
Stevens, W.R. "UNIX Network Programming." Vol. 1, The Sockets Networking API, 2004, ISBN: 0131411551
Stevens, W.R. "UNIX Network Programming." Vol. 2, Interprocess Communications, 1999, ISBN: 0130810819
Tanenbaum, A., Steen, M.: Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms. Prentice Hall, 2002, ISBN: 0130888931
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements specification and design of projects, two projects elaboration, mid-term exam.
Language of instruction
The aim is to understand principles and design of applications for distributed environment, obtain overview of modern distributed environments and ability of usage application interface for various programming environments.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- Common characteristics of distributed environments
- Types of distributed environments
- Communication in distributed environments
- Distributed operating and file systems
- Synchronization and transactions
- Consistency and replication
- Design and model of distributed applications
- RPC, XML-RPC, SOAP, IIOP
- CORBA, Real-time CORBA, COM, DCOM
- Architectures of Distributed Control Systems
- Time-Triggered Distributed Architecture
- Clusters, Security in distributed applications
- Programming languages for large distributed systems
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Implementation of selected applications,algorithms for selected distributed environments.
eLearning: currently opened course