Microsoft Windows Server Systems
FIT-IW2Acad. year: 2019/2020
- Detailed insight into TCP/IP, routing, NAT and Windows Firewall.
- Active Directory: user and computer accounts, OUs, user groups, Group Policy and management of user environments, security and delegation, administrative tasks scripting, remote software installation and Remote Installation Services,
- backup and restore, troubleshooting hardware,
- IIS. Introduction to security and cryptography, EFS, introduction to IPSec and VPN (PPTP and L2TP).
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Ability to implement, manage, maintain and support Microsoft Windows server systems as well as troubleshoot common issues.
General insight into problems of computer networks and their implementation.
Common user ability to work with Microsoft Windows. Basic knowledge of administration based on the IW1 course.
- recommended prerequisite
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Dauti, Bekim. Windows Server 2016 Administration Fundamentals. Birmingham: Packt Publishing, 2017.
Petr Šetka: Mistrovství v Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Ze začínajícího správce expertem. ISBN: 80-251-0036-7
Francis, Dishan. Mastering Active Directory : automate tasks by leveraging PowerShell for Active Directory Domain Services 2016. Birmingham, UK: Packt Publishing, 2017.
Moskowitz, Jeremy. Group policy : fundamentals, security, and the managed desktop. Indianapolis, Ind: Wiley, 2010.
Thomas, Orin. Inside out : Windows Server 2016. Microsoft, 2016.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
For entering the exam, students have to get at least 20 points from the semester.
Language of instruction
To obtain strong knowledge about administering, implementing and designing Microsoft Windows server systems and network technologies based on the technologies. The course will provide students with hands-on practice in the lab environment. The course will provide guidance for preparation for Microsoft certification exams for server systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at any forms of education is optional. Exercises can be substituted in any other term (but we can not guarantee free space in the classroom - priority is given to enrolled students).
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- Installation and upgrade, Minimal system requirements, RIS, sysprep a riprep - server part, RIS Installation and configuration, WDS, Other imaging software
- Hardware and server performance, support server hardware, RAID, hardware differences from the station, multi-processor support. Device Manager Botlencsk subsystems - processor, memory, disk, network, Task manager, System monitor a Performance logs and alerts console
- Windows update services, skript, GPO distribution , Hotfix deployment methods, WUS (SUS) instalation and administration, MBSA
- Server network services (DHCP, TCP/IP), scopes, DHCP options, reservations, leases
- Server name services (WINS a DNS), DNS resource types, root servers, DNS actualization
- Active directory architecture, application, concepts: Sites, forest, domain, domain tree, Global catalogue AD installation a promotion to DC/member server
- Domain accounts, Default domain groups and users, Account properties, user profiles, computers in the AD.
- Distributed file system (DFS), resources structure, distribution
- Group policy objects (GPO), Gpupdate, gpmc, Security Configuration Tool Set.
- Internet information services (IIS), WWW, virtual directory, scripts support, web configuration
- Resolving problems with access to network resources, disk quotas, permissions, network availability
- Restore and backup, Automatic recovery, shadow copies, network services backup
- Terminal services and remote administration, terminal services licencing, Remote desktop sessions maintaining
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course