Typography and Publishing
FIT-ITYAcad. year: 2019/2020
Students learn the basics of typography and tools for creating documents. We concentrate on the LaTeX system for preparing professional documents and publications. The course consists of six lectures (one 100 minutes long lecture per two weeks). Students practise their knowledge within five LaTeX projects. The final test is in the last week of teaching part of the term.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students learn typography basics and how to create documents by the LaTeX system.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Rybička, J. LaTeX pro začátečníky, 3. vydání. Konvoj, Brno, 2003. ISBN 80-7302-049-1.
Kopka, H., Daly, P. W. LaTeX podrobný průvodce, vydání první. Computer Press, Brno, 2004. ISBN 80-722-6973-9.
Kottwitz, S. LaTeX Beginner's Guide. Packt Publishing, Birmingham, 2011. ISBN 978-1847199867.
Kolektiv autorů. Jak publikovat na počítači, SCIENCE, Velentiny, 1996. ISBN 80-901475-77.
ČSN ISO 690: Informace a dokumentace - Pravidla pro bibliografické odkazy a citace informačních zdrojů. Úřad pro technickou normalizaci, metrologii a státní zkušebnictví. 2011.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students can obtain up to 70 points from 5 projects and up to 30 points from the final test.
Students get points in the projects during the term and in the final test at the end of teaching part of the term. It is necessary to get at least 50 points for the accreditation. Classification is according to the standard scale.
Plagiarism as well as not permitted cooperation on projects and/or cheating during the final test will cause that involved students are not classified and disciplinary action may be initiated.
Language of instruction
To understand the common principles of typography. To take an overview of tools for creating documents of high typographic quality. To be familiar with the system LaTeX for preparing professional documents and publications.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
No attendance on lectures is monitored within this course. The knowledge of students is examined by the projects and by the final test.
In case of illness or other relevant obstacles that are properly reported and documented, the student can ask a responsible teacher to postpone a project submission or to provide an additional date for the final test.
Type of course unit
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- Goals and organization of the course, writing as a basis of typography, review of tools for document preparation.
- Introduction to LaTeX system - philosophy, software, plain and hybrid composition.
- Document composition - common rules and LaTeX commands for document structuring, the composition of mathematical expressions in LaTeX.
- Handling tables, algorithms, and images in LaTeX.
- Standards for references, references in LaTeX.
- Basics of presentations, presentation tools in LaTeX.
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Plain and hybrid composition (10 points)
- Document composition, mathematical expressions (15 points)
- Pictures, algorithms, and tables (15 points)
- References (15 points)
- Presentation preparing (15 points)
eLearning: currently opened course