Diploma Project Seminar
FP-KpdsPDAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course is intended for students to deepen their knowledge and acquire skills in the area of professional writing as needed for completing bachelors’ theses. Great attention is paid to gathering information and investigating professional literature, conducting and writing up a research, and to citing quotations according to the valid standards. It will teach them how to plan and carry out the whole process of bachelor’s thesis writing, and will make them familiar with the basic guidelines for completing the bachelor’s thesis as far as level of formality and content requirements are concerned. The course will provide students with current methodology and theory in the area and will teach them how to deliver an effective presentation of their work with confidence.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Having attended the course, students will be able to write a compact professional text with a logical structure where they will apply the theory learned to solving a selected problem from the practice.
The course requires previous knowledge acquired throughout the university study and the ability to apply it to solving selected problems.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ISO norma 690 (CS)
Doporučená literatura vedoucím bakalářské práce (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching takes place in the form of individual consultations with the supervisor of the final thesis.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
A written project – part of the bachelor’s thesis (outlining the thesis and its goals, methodology of solving the problem and the completing of the theoretical part). Presentation aimed at defending of the completed project.
Language of instruction
1) Introduction in the course “Bachelor’s Thesis Seminar”
2) Basic terminology and key aspects in professional work
3) Basic intellectual operations
4) Basics of social research
5) Methodology of creative work
6) Formal aspects of professional writing
7) Gathering sources and processing information
8) Quotation rules
9) Formal requirements on the bachelor’s thesis and common mistakes
10) Model structure of a bachelor’s thesis, outlining the goals, content, determining of methods and procedure
11) Presentation techniques
12) Suggestions for effective defence of own results and opinions
13) Presentation and defence of results achieved
The aim of the course is to provide students with necessary knowledge and skills in the area of professional writing as needed for completing the bachelor’s thesis.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Parts of the bachelor’s thesis to be completed: outlining the problem, setting the objectives, determining the methods and procedure. Recent theoretical information in the field.