FP-ibPAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course is focused on the area of International business environment and trading. To explain characteristics of international environment and importance of international business; to characterize basic ideas and terminology, main subjects and organisations in international business; to introduce basic trade operations and managing of international business.
Nabízen zahradničním studentům
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be acquainted with proceedings at export and import operations of companies, with concluding of contracts and with payment terms relating to these operations. They will master the terminology of international trade and processes of managing and financing business operations of entrepreneurial subjects on international markets and possibilities of international trade financing.
Basic economic categories, computer literacy, basics of company management, methods of financial analysis, bank and insurance companies operations.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
MORRISON, J. The Global Business Environment: Meeting the Challenges. 3rd edition, Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. ISBN-10: 9780230210257
GRIFFIN, R. W., PUSTAY, M. W. International Business. 6th Edition, Pearson Education, 2010. ISBN-10: 1-40-825916-8.
CAVUSGIL S. T., GHAURI, P., KNIGHT, G. and RIESENBERGER, J. International Business. Global Edition. 3rd Edition, Pearson Education, 2013. ISBN10: 0-273-78706-3.
RUGMAN, A. M., COLLINSON, S. International Business. 6th Edition, FT Prentice Hall, 2012. ISBN-10: 0-273-76097-1
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. Lecture, presentation, managed disscussion, tem work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of module is based on meeting the following activities and points:
Proposal of the Individual Project (sample of PIP will be in the News of Subject) 10
Individual Project 60
Active Participation on recommended Lectures and Seminars 30
Total evaluation (min. 50 points to pass the subject) 100
Criteria of project evaluation (in %) are:
• Theoretical background of selected theme 30%
• Quality of theme solving, keeping of required content, originality to the theme (own opinions practicality, case study) 40%
• Formal requirements (graphic form, literature citations and quotations, maintaining the desired range) 30%
Language of instruction
Topics lectures are as follows:
A.The World´s Marketplaces
1. Introduction to International Business (Business Explanation of Module Outline & Course Expectations)
2. Regional and Global Strategy, Multinational Enterprise, the Triad, Non-Triad
3. Global Marketplaces and Business Centres, Legal, Technological, Political Forces and the Role of Culture
B. International Environment
4. International Trade and Investment Theory
5. Formulation of National Policies
6. International Cooperation among Nations
C. Managing International Business
7. Strategies for Analysing and Entering Foreign Markets
8. International Strategic Alliances
9. Exporting, importing and countertra (discussion on exporting as one of the most common mode of entry in international expansion, and popular choice for SMEs internationalisation)
10. Organization Design and Controlling for International Business and Managing Behaviour
D. Managing International Business Operations
11. International Marketing
12. International Operations Management
13. International Human Resource Management
The objective of the course is to make students familiar with the significance of international trade, with its forms, with export and import operations and with versatility of trade. The students should also master arrangement of commitment relations, types of selected international contracts, system of domestic rules and regulations, typical international customs and selected types of contracts and delivery terms. Also dealt with is concluding of contracts with foreign partners, means of payment and fulfilling commitments in international trade.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Control of results of independent work on the assigned tasks, assignments, team projects and so on. In case of excused absence from seminars, an additional task is set and evaluated according to the criteria for awarding course-credit units.
Classification of course in study plans