Materials in Electrical Engeneering
FP-BelmPAcad. year: 2019/2020
The subject provides basic knowledge in the field of materials for electrotechnics and electronics. The subject familiarizes students with the basic concepts, classification and distribution of substances. The main focus is on metallic conductors, semiconductors, dielectrics and magnetics materials.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- be knowledgeable in electronic and electrical materials,
- classify electrical materials according to electric conductivity and behavior in electric and magnetic fields,
- describe typical properties and parameters of particular categories of electrical materials and links between these properties and material structure and composition,
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
JIRÁK, J., LIEDERMANN, K., SEDLAŘÍKOVÁ, M., AUTRATA, R., ROZSÍVALOVÁ, Z. Materiály v elektrotechnice, elektronické texty ETE004. Materiály v elektrotechnice. Brno: 2002. (CS)
KAZELLE, J., HAVLÍČEK, S., JIRÁK, J., LIEDERMANN, K., ROZSÍVALOVÁ, Z., SEDLAŘÍKOVÁ, M., VANĚK, J. Elektrotechnické materiály a výrobní procesy, elektronické texty. Brno: 2003. s. 1 ( s.) (CS)
Drápala L., Kursa M., ELEKTROTECHNICKÉ MATERIÁLY, VSB, TUO, 2012 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. They include lectures, exercisesand practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for successful completion of the subject are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
1. Relation of structure and properties of materiales
2. Classification of materials and their basic properties
3. Construction materials for electrotechnics
4. Electrical conductors, superconductors, resistive, contact materials, carbon
5. Fundamentals of magnetism
6. Materials for magnetic circuits
7. Fundamentals of dielectric and insulating materials
8. Gaseous and liquid insulants, liquid crystals
9. Solid inorganic and organic insulants, special dielectrics
10. Plastics in electrical engineering, elastomers, composite materials
11. Semiconductor properties of materials and their relation to technology. Basic semiconductor materials.
12. Preparation of semiconductor materials
13. Physiological properties of materials, recycling of materials
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with materials for electrical and electronic engineering, with their classification and with their important properties. This information enables basic orientation in selection of materials for constructions of electrotechnical and electronic devices and equipments.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in seminars is compulsory. Excused seminars can be made up.
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BAK-PM Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course