A/D and D/A Converters
FEKT-MPC-ADPAcad. year: 2020/2021
Preprocessing of analog signal, parallel converters with switched resistor networks and switched current sources, parallel and serial D/A converters, indirect D/A converters, converters with cyclic resistor interchange, comparative A/D converters, compensating A/D converters, integrating A/D converters, sigma - delta converters, U/f converters.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
On completing the course, students will be able to:
- orient themselves in the selection of circuits for signal preprocessing such as electronic switched circuits, analog multiplexers or demultiplexers,
- be familiar with filtering circuits designed for cooperation with A/D and D/A converters,
- be able to design and apply sampling circuits with memory,
- understand the parameters of A/D converters and be able to design solutions to various types of A/D converters,
- understand the parameters of D/A converters and be able to design them and analyse, and
become familiar with solutions also to other types of converters such as U/F converters.
The basic knowledge of analog and digital circuits is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VRBA, Kamil. Vzájemný převod A/D a D/A signálů - část 1. Elektronický učební text. Brno: VUT v Brně 2017 (CS)
VRBA, Kamil a KUBÁNEK, David. A/D a D/A převodníky pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO, Brno: VUT v Brně 2015 (CS)
HÁZE, J. a kol. Teorie vzájemného převodu analogových a číslicových signálů. Učební text. Brno: VUT v Brně 2010. (CS)
TIEZE, Ulrich a SCHENK, Christoph. Electronic Circuits. Design and Applications. Heidelberg: Springer 1999 (CS)
ANALOG DEVICES: Data Converter - Reference Manual. Norwood: Analog Devices 2015 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
In exercises, students can obtain up to 20 points. The examination proper is a written examination and students can gain for it up to 80 points. The examination focuses on the ability to orient oneself in the design of simple circuits for A/D and D/A converters and the ability to analyse complex integrated structures of A/D and D/A converters.
Language of instruction
1. Circuits for precise pre-processing of signals:
1.1 Amplifiers with electronic switched gain, precise analog multiplexers or demultiplexers, filters for A/D and D/A converters
1.2 S/H and T/H circuits: parameters and circuit solutions
2. D/A converters:
2.1 Parameters of D/A converters
2.2 Circuit solutions of D/A converters
3. A/D converters:
3.1 Parameters of A/D converters
3.2 Circuit solutions of A/D converters
4. U/F converters
D/A and D/A converters, the properties of integrated converters and their possible applications. They should be able to orient themselves in signal pre-processing circuits such as precise switched amplifiers, anti-aliasing filters, and sampling circuits with memory.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Computer exercises are obligatory. Justified absence from computer exercises can be made up after prior arrangement with the instructor, usually in the credit week.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MPC-AUD Master's
- Programme MPC-TIT Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme MPC-EKT Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme MPC-EEN Master's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, compulsory-optional